Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone.
My first post of many I'm sure. I had to find a knowledgeable group to ask a few questions, a Google search and BAM I'm here!
I'm going to look at a '88 GL1500 with 40k miles on it on Saturday. The bike looks immaculate and obviously babied, so visually it is a 10. The problem starts there. I've never bought a used bike before, much less one that was built the year I graduated HS! 馃槻馃槻
The gentleman I am buying it from is extremely nice and I'm getting the vibe he is sincerely on the up & up, but I was wondering if there were anything I should especially look for or ask?
Any information or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks & nice to meet you all. 馃幉馃幉

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are actually a fair amount of things that need checked. Timing belts and tires being at the top of the list.

Treat it like any other used vehicle purchase as far as general maintenance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cantankerous. It has a new front tire and the timing belt was changed in '16 just for precautionary reasons.

Registered
40k miles on a 32 year old bike makes me think that it hasn't been ridden much or it has been local miles only. That old of a bike I'd be thinking about dried out and cracked vaccuum holes and lines too. Check for mouse trails under the carbs (you'll need a good flashlight or borescope to see anything and another place to check would be under the seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Administrator
For sure all rubber hoses and seals etc need looking at. There is a bladder (rubber) around the carbs (or close to) that has a real tendency to get brittle and fall to pieces over the years so that needs to be ascertained. Air shock fittings need to be checked for leaks, as well as brake lines and clutch lines and fittings. It is an "old" girl after all and will need some TLC. Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Okay gotcha... Gaskets anything rubber, hoses and anywhere a mouse could have gotten. I was figuring there was going to be some fixing up but for the price and how good it looks plus mileage it's almost too good to pass up. Thank you very much

Super Moderator
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I see you already have good responses from our 1500 experts.

Registered
Inspection Check List -

It sounds like you may have found a great bike - although before closing the deal you might ask a few more questions about why it was stored, how long the owner has had the bike (a bike flipper ?) and verify the VIN number with the title info. You may consider paying (relatively minor fee) for an indepth vehicle review and inspection history ? For long term ownership - a Clymer maintenance manual is often considered the best ownership, service and maintenance information manual for the money.

If at all possible a good test ride can tell you a lot about what you may expect from any needed maintenance. Be careful trying to push her around - she weighs over 800 lbs...... At least put it up on the center stand to warm it up, run it through the gears, test the reverse function and look for any leaks - smells - seepage (fuel/oil/coolant leaks).

Do you feel comfortable enough performing a mechanical once over ? Carefully use an LED flashlight to look down into the fuel tank for corrosion, inspect the electrical wiring harness for Repair - Loose Ends - Mods, look at the Fuse/Relay Panels for any heat damage, the instrument panel - warning lights - LCD display for proper operation, the alt output voltage, battery box for corrosion, the two Primary A-B solenoids for corrosion, inspect the master cylinders (Brake/Clutch) reservoir for corrosion, etc....? The internet is a good source for information and the location for most all of this stuff......:)

Good Luck and Ride Safe - Michael

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!
If everything pans out and I end up purchasing, I definitely see going back and upping my membership the $15 to the next level. This is a great forum thank you very much for all that knowledge.

Administrator
We're here to help. Please feel free to reach out with any other concerns or questions.

Registered
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

As with any vehicle of this age, you should be prepared to do your own work. Most dealers will not work on a bike of this age (probably older than many of their mechanics). I rarely cross post to other forums but you can find nearly all your maintenance info here: https://goldwingdocs.com/

As noted above, you will need to evaluate the bike's condition by close examination and don't be surprised or discouraged if you need to do some work on it. If you are not completely comfortable in understanding what to look for you should have an independent mechanic look as well.

Registered
This bike has only had two sets of tire changes on the rear. I'd be pulling the rear tire off and looking at those splines to be sure they are greased properly. Also the drive shaft into the engine comes out pretty easy and I'd be sure it is also greased and looking good. The 88 Goldwing is not exactly the same as the 99 or 2000 Goldwing however you may not see any differences. Don''t forget to replace the brake and clutch fluids, anti-freeze, fork oil, rear gear oil, engine oil, even brake pads. Clean and re-lube switches, and even think about the steering head bearings. I had a 1500 that I put over 112,000 miles on it in a span of 8 years and it had all that stuff looked at the 100k mark. What I'm saying is miles is not the only thing hindering a bikes performance but also time.

Premium Member
I buy used bikes all the time but won't offer any advice as I tend to buy things like this.

Rubber hoses are the last thing I look at. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts