Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 88 1500 GW with 20,000 miles with what was called an engine knock after warmed up. I drove the pants off of her for 10 miles starting and stoping bringing her up to temp. ,nothing, ran nice , no knock. Paid for her and drove her home 35 mins. on the freeway at 75 mph, nothing. After riding around town the knocking and rattling begins. I got a good deal on her and am prepared to bite the bullet to repair her. Any idea what I may be dealing with here. If i keep her under 3000rpm it's better . The sounds seems to be comming from directly under the tuperware gas tank facade. Any suggestions or remarks will be appreciated! Thanks, Jeff:confused:

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U Goldwing.
What gear are you using around town to get the noise?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Reving at idle,1st, 2nd, 3rd,4th. Once the engine reaches running temp. it's knocking. I have to say the knock is not a deep solid knock like a spun crank bearing but not being familiar with GW sounds i really don't know? Of coarse I'm hoping for something less serious but I still want to repair it to top condition. The previous owner only owned the bike for a brief time before offering it for sale and didn't hide any details. he said the timming belts and alternator had been recently replaced by the owner before him. Heis a 79 year old man who's got a new Gw Trike and a 04 1800 so maybe a GW horsetrader, dunno? Thanks , Jeff

I live in Fresno,Ca. if any other members know of a top GW mechanic to recommend. I will get my profile filled out soon! Jeff

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
What I should have asked you and it's my mistake is are you running for example in 4th gear @2000 rpms when the sound happens? Does the sound happen in 4th gear at 3500 rpms?
If the sound wasn't present at highway speed the rpms were correct for the gear, you were probably in 'Over Drive' and the rpms were at about 3000 rpms.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
I scanned this page from the owner's manual, give this a try and tell us if the sound is still there.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,788 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I may be way off base, but anybody here that knows me knows I am. :)
Did the PO say when the noise started? I'm thinking it might be a loose or defective alternator, as the area you are describing is very close.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

I may be way off base, but anybody here that knows me knows I am. :)
Did the PO say when the noise started? I'm thinking it might be a loose or defective alternator, as the area you are describing is very close.
From what I gathered from his post is that the sound isn't there at highway speed, just cruising around town, too high a gear and too low rpms for the gear. I recorded the numbers from this morning and in second gear @30 mph the tach reads 2750 rpms and in 3rd gear @45 mph the tach reads 3000 rpms. I was thinking to myself back to when I first got my 1500 and I lugged the engine a number of times and got this strange sound from it like something was loose and then I was corrected. I used to own Harley Electra Glides and switched to a Wing. Basically trying to operate the Wing like a Bagger didn't have good results and when I found the right combination the strange sound was never heard again except when I leave the bike in 4th and travel in lower rpms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trike lady, I thought I explained this is not a lugging issue so unless you have any other issues to be aware of forget the thought I'm lugging the engine.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
Sir, please don't get upset with what say. I know you're looking for answers and diagnosis of a sound via the Internet isn't simple.
According to your earlier post you made mention of the alternator being replaced, the isolator bushing of the alternator drive may not have been replaced and isn't cushioning the drive at certain rpm ranges.
If someone with limited skills changed the timing belts, there is a possibility the belt/belts could be off by one tooth. This is an 'Interference' engine and this means that the timing is critical to prevent damage.
Are you handy with tools and can remove the timing belt cover to verify that the cylinder banks are correct and that the timing marks are correct on both sides?
Can you remove the alternator and take it to a rebuilder to verify that it indeed has been rebuilt? A competent starter/alternator shop can bench test the unit. You may find when you remove the alternator that the isolator is worn and you'll need to replace it.
It's not hard to get at these parts and check them. Do you have a service manual to do the procedures?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered a Honda manual today. I have a Honda mechanic that will listen to her tomarrow and will start with the exact procedure you have suggested . Thanks, Jeff (and yes ,I have the tools and am capable but old and able to pay a mechanic . lol);)

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
My job is to turn peoples Goldwings into trikes and to keep their Wings on the road and I have been proudly keeping Wings running for 10 years. I've built trikes that have cost their owners upwards of $60,000.00. I'm 55 and I build the trikes for those who are older then me.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Trike lady you can help me anytime if i have a problem ! I will appreciate your input if i am looking for answers ! Benny

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't see a trike in my future for a while but bless your heart for your endeavors. Your input is Appreciated immencely!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just ordered the Honda manual today . I have a honda mech looking at it tomarrow. I have the tools and ability but am old an can afford to have someone else(qualified) do the work! lol!

·
Registered
280 Posts
My job is to turn peoples Goldwings into trikes and to keep their Wings on the road and I have been proudly keeping Wings running for 10 years. I've built trikes that have cost their owners upwards of $60,000.00. I'm 55 and I build the trikes for those who are older then me.
I'm new here but have read some of your posts. Very good stuff there. And now i see why your handle is what it is. what a great thing it is to help keep folks riding.

To others who might think trikes are only for more mature riders...

I, too, am 55 and recently bought a triked '89 GL1500 (Voyager kit). While I can easily ride by myself on 2 wheels - and do, riding with my wife is better on more than 2 wheels. It's safest for both of us. Granted, riding a trike takes some getting used to - and a little more upper body strength than riding on just 2 wheels. So, it's not really a matter of age or even physical condition to choose to ride a trike, but a matter of what's easiest for a particular application, which in my case is 2-up touring which I hope to do some of now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts