Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am looking to buy an 87 gold wing with a problem. From what i can gather the cooling fan is not coming on and the temp gauge is not functioning. related? It doesn't seem to overheat underway but not sure about that. telling you the way he is telling me, says he had just got off the beltway and stooped to talk to a neighbor when they noticed coolant leaking. Thanks all,I am Hot to get a gold wing. Get it, hot. Man I kill myself. any guidance would be appreciated Thanks Kevin.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Hello all, I am looking to buy an 87 gold wing with a problem. From what i can gather the cooling fan is not coming on and the temp gauge is not functioning. related? It doesn't seem to overheat underway but not sure about that. telling you the way he is telling me, says he had just got off the beltway and stooped to talk to a neighbor when they noticed coolant leaking. Thanks all,I am Hot to get a gold wing. Get it, hot. Man I kill myself. any guidance would be appreciated Thanks Kevin.
O
I would advise you # 1 to control your zest for a wing and approach this from a less emotional state. # 2. Look for a bike that you can afford but if you buy one that needs alot of work or not running, then you are starting out on very shakey ground and possibly going to spend more money than if you had bought a bike in better running condition. I have seen guys so crazy about buying vehicles they go against the advice that they themselves would give someone else. I ask myself if I would advise my son or daughter to buy this vehicle. I think if you want to ride and not spend your time working on the bike all the time it is important to at least get a bike in good condition to start with. Just my opinion

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
+1 to what Santini says; there are plenty of used Wings out there, so don't be in a hurry. Know what you're buying.

That said, the cooling system is one of the simplest systems on the bike. If it isn't tight, you can make it tight for not much time or money. Then again, if it's a bad water pump or a dead fan, that costs a few bucks. Just know what you're buying.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I agree with both above post, if it has problems then, in my experience, more are sure to come.

I could be a very simple problem, bad sensor, this sensor controls both the gage and the fan operation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all the bike looks nice,has 33,000 miles nice paint, chrome, etc.I am concerned about parts and the fact that the temp gauge doesn't work The bike starts right up runs good and all the lights etc work. he is asking 3,000 but is probably somewhat negotiable.
Thanks , Kevin. Can a sensor or fan be had?

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
G'day Kevinm. I love old bikes and cars. From my experience you need to be prepared to spend a lot of time and money to get a bike to where you will want it. Even the simple thing will add up : Tires, Battery, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Timing Belts, Stator, Clutch and maybe a Stator. So I think the starting price needs to give you room to do some of these things. Eric

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Temp guage is likely the sending unit, but not definite. Cooling fan could be shot or just the sensor. Lots to consider and for a bike with known issues price should be negotiable somewhat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all it makes me feel better knowing I have this vast pool of knowledge and experience to draw from. I sincerely thank you for your help and hope to be of service to you sometime,thanks Kevin

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
We're looking forward to hearing the rest of the story; and the smart folks around here will be happy to help you get your Wing running tip-top!:D

Of course, then we will all become very demanding about pics and trip reports!:p

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Thanks all the bike looks nice,has 33,000 miles nice paint, chrome, etc.I am concerned about parts and the fact that the temp gauge doesn't work The bike starts right up runs good and all the lights etc work. he is asking 3,000 but is probably somewhat negotiable.
Thanks , Kevin. Can a sensor or fan be had?
Just my 2 cents..........Price is to high. Bikes and women have some things that are similar. Looks are not everything :D
Good luck sir

1 - 11 of 11 Posts