Year: 1987
Model: Interstate
Eng Size: 1200
Pipes: Stock OEM
Seat: Stock OEM
Wheels: Stock OEM
Accessories: Shown on Website
The Story:
On a cool spring day while driving to work, I noticed this sand color goldwing on the lawn in my neighborhood with a for sale sign on the windshield. I continued down the street thing if I should turn around. I have always wanted a goldwing, however I thought that it might be closer in time when I would retire. I also noticed that it was an older bike and I have always been interested in older bikes, this one really caught my eye. Well needless to say I turned around and went back to see the bike. It was just as I expected, the bike was still in good shape. Now here is where it gets interesting, I have not owned a bike before much less a goldwing and I have never rode a goldwing before. I have been on smaller bike, but until now never a bike this big. Now it is time to give this bike a test ride and I am not sure I really want to do this with no experience. So I did the best thing I knew, I phoned a friend (WOW sounds like an episode of “Do you want to be a Millionaire”) to go on this test ride. Well the rest is history, the bike rode just fine. I asked the gentleman who owned the bike, why was he selling the bike. He told me he could not handle the bike anymore. I am glad he decided to sell because I really feel I was buying a real nice bike. The bike did need work and I had nothing but time to complete this rebuild.
I purchased the bike on April 3, 2002. The bike had 14,300 original miles on it. The bike was garage kept by the previous owner and well serviced.

After taking a riding course I now enjoy riding as much as I thought I would. I have had many day rides and even enjoy overnight rides too. Some of my most memorable rides has been through the Smoky Mountain National Park. On a trip in October of 2005 to North Carolina-Tennessee I was able to ride the more famous roads of the Smoky’s and make those memory happen again. I was also able to ride many of the more popular road of Tennessee and North Carolina. Including The Tail of the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I also traveled to Natchez Mississippi to do some hiking and biking on the Natchez Trace. The Trace is one of those place where the follage is so thick you can believe you are in the mountains somewhere.
Since my purchase in 2002 I have started the long road of restoring the bike. These older parts are getting harder to find. Some parts even Honda stopped making, so you have to look for these parts on the Internet. Ebay has helped me to find many of those parts that the local dealer could not get or did not have in stock. I have been able to find and add many parts to the bike to give it a little flare. I have added chrome to the engine, but yet trying to keep from over doing it. I have changed almost all the lights to LED's on the bike to help give a little relief to the alternator.
Since 1975 I have enjoyed showing cars, trucks and traveling to some of these shows in other states as well. In 2004 I decided to start entering my bike in local shows as well as Goldwing District Rallies bike shows too. I have had a good time at these shows meeting people and making new friends.

One Photo of the bike:

Here is the website with many pictures http://members.cox.net/goldwingrider
:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
thats one clean and beautiful wing goldwingrider

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Tony, It is apparent that you are very passionate about your Wing, as well you should be with such a fine ride.

Side note, wingstuff.com still carries many accessories for 1100/1200 Wings in case you didn't know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tony, It is apparent that you are very passionate about your Wing, as well you should be with such a fine ride.

Side note, wingstuff.com still carries many accessories for 1100/1200 Wings in case you didn't know.
Hey Bill, thanks very much for saying that. I do business with wingstuff. It is where I do find many things that I can't seem to find. Passionate is a great description about the way I feel about the classic goldwings. I am very close to full Restoration. It is hard to find parts for the GL1200 so with I can I buy parts for stock. I find great comfort in the restoration of my bike and I really enjoy see what other classics look like and the amount of time people put into their bikes. Bill that for your help.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Really nice ride. Congrats..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Beautiful ride, enjoy. Linden Puyallup, WA

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great looking bike!! I like older bikes that are kept in good shape. I ride a 98 1500SE and my riding buddy rides a 87 yamaha venture royal. We enjoy the comments we get on them. Your bike looks like it just came off showroom floor. Good riding--

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tony you didn't know it but I took tht trip along with you by just sitting here in my chair on this cold Sunday morning.Beautiful pictures on a 22 " monitor I even had to go get the wife to show her.

It just makes us want to get over this long winter sooner and get back to riding.Thanks for sharing those pictures with us.
Happy Holidays!!
WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tony you didn't know it but I took tht trip along with you by just sitting here in my chair on this cold Sunday morning.Beautiful pictures on a 22 " monitor I even had to go get the wife to show her.

It just makes us want to get over this long winter sooner and get back to riding.Thanks for sharing those pictures with us.
Happy Holidays!!
WA9FWT Phil
Thank you Phil and Taco I love the older bikes myself and there are so many nice bikes that I have seen and competed against over the years. It sure is nice to see the older bikes still around.

Phil I see that you are a Ham Operator, so am I, WB5SSD and I was very active chasing countries over the years. After contacting all the countries on the current list, I am not as active as I was back then, however it still is one of my favorite hobbies. Now the bike has become my next hobby, go figure!

da dit da

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thank you Phil and Taco I love the older bikes myself and there are so many nice bikes that I have seen and competed against over the years. It sure is nice to see the older bikes still around.

Phil I see that you are a Ham Operator, so am I, WB5SSD and I was very active chasing countries over the years. After contacting all the countries on the current list, I am not as active as I was back then, however it still is one of my favorite hobbies. Now the bike has become my next hobby, go figure!

da dit da
... HOWDY ... I OPERATED UNDER WB5JJK / KC4 ... 72-73 ... SOUTH POLE ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tony,
Beautiful bike. I just purchased an '87 GW Interstate and if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question.

You mention that you replaced the lights with LEDs. Were you able to replace the entire unit with an LED version or did you use LED bulbs in the original fixtures? In either case, where did you find whatever you used? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Continue to enjoy your ride.

Hoss

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tony,
Beautiful bike. I just purchased an '87 GW Interstate and if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a question.

You mention that you replaced the lights with LEDs. Were you able to replace the entire unit with an LED version or did you use LED bulbs in the original fixtures? In either case, where did you find whatever you used? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Continue to enjoy your ride.

Hoss
Hey Hoss, Thanks for the nice comments. The LED's, I did change all the lights except the headlight. The headlight is a HID light. The led's fits in the 1157 or 1156 sockets. The other lights are small socket light like the 192 type light. I did have to replace my stator so I thought changing the light to led's would take the load from the stator.
I used http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi and they seem to work fine.
Another choice is http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/32481/user/velocity and they have nice stuff too.
Both these places their LED's are brighter then the OEM bulbs.

Good luck with your project and let me know if I can help

·
Registered
201 Posts
"A picture is worth a thousand words" as the saying goes Tony.Thanks for sharing
your story and Photos with guys that have a passion for their rides just like you do.
I'm thinking one day I'll likely get a newer generation GW and still keep my 85 LTD,
it has class. People still stop,look and talk every time I fuel up, but more important,
"It suits this old retired Heavy Equipment Operator" :) Your story is a classic in itself, but
quite typical in these parts amoungst GW owners like yourself.Thanks and Happy Holidays
VE7EAB here Tony

-Robert-

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is a SWEET MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure you are proud. As you should be.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF jenifer25, you should post up a " hello" soothers know you are on the forum
'

1 - 20 of 33 Posts