Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 86 wing stored all winter started first time no problem. I went to the gas station filled up and the bike wouldn't start (no fire to plugs) after an hour it started up no problem. I took a 60 mile ride got home and the bike again failed to restart. (no fire) after a while it started no problem. Im thinking coil failure after heating up . the bike doesn't die, just fails to re start if turned off. any ideas? I have a friend that is coming over today to take a look at it and I need a wiring diagram. Is there a place I can get a free download, I can't pick one at the dealer til tuesday.
Thanks Aspenoldman
Great site.

·
Registered
470 Posts
A couple of things come to mind; Have you checked the 3 Yellow wires? If the plug to the left of the battery has not been changed (removed) it is a spot that causes trouble. Also, the factory "dog bone" type fuse in the relay to the right of the battery can look OK,but, can have a hair line crack that will open when it gets hot.
Does it turn over and just not fire?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wires are heat damaged at that connection, but the bike has good charging output from the stator. I think that fuse is ok because the whole bike (all the gauges and accessories) have power. Tried wiggling wires and taping sensors while it was running and couldn't get a failure. The ignition coils had battery voltage when the bike wouldn't start but I'm not sure what the wires colors are for the trigger coil.

·
Registered
470 Posts
That plug is a known issue, as you can see there has been considerable heat at that point. If not corrected you will surely burn out the stator. The engine has to come out to replace it!
The fix is to cut out that plug and directly solder those 3 wires, first cut back what is bad. The order doesn't matter. Before you reconnect them measure the output voltage from each wire, if you got lucky the stator is still OK. That plug is one reason so many stators have had to be replaced. While you're in the mood, also check the plug/wires at the rec/reg under the false tank along the left side of the frame.
Some early models ( 84~85 ) and maybe up to early 86 had issues with the contact base..that's the plug from the harness that connects to the bottom of the ignition switch. They will work loose and cause problems like what you are experiencing.
Often this will show up when turning the bars from side~side, or when hitting a large bump in the road. If you can reach the harness under the switch..wiggle it while the bike is running and see if that does anything. It will be a lot easier to reach with the false tank off.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
It's the pulse generators that went bad, about the only schematic I could rustle up on the internet is for the GL1200 SEi/LTD. May be helpful until I can find my GL1200 Service Manual. When one gets hot the bike begins to exhibit a symptom of like it wants to quit and then it doesn't start unless the generator cools off.
http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda Goldwing GL1200L Limited SEi Electrical Schematic-AE4CB.pdf
What you need to locate is the four place white mini connector and in the photo in the service manual for the GL1100 it show this connection along side the battery. The resistance measurement service limit is 530 +/- 50 Ohms @ 68F

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only thing we found was the dogbone fuse was cracked and when we took it out it fell in 5 pieces after replacing it the bike has been starting every time. we are going to replace the connecter on the stater circuit this week. Tanks for all the help and ride safely.
aspenoldman

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to GWOF aspenoldman. Glad you got your issue sorted.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, I forgot to welcome you to the forum:( Glad you are back up & running.
If I read your post correctly, you say you plan to replace the plug? I would strongly recommend you eliminate that part altogether as it will come back to bite you when you least expect it! At least you should measure the voltage from each leg of the stator, that will tell you where you stand...( leg..stand ) no pun intended:D At the very least, if you do replace the plug, use some di-electric grease in there and keep an eye on it for any signs of overheating.
Also, many guys have replaced the starter relay with one that has a "normal" auto type fuse in it, this way you can find a spare just about anywhere if the need arises...the dog-bones are pretty scarce.
There may be a "poor-boy" conversion in your future.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts about my problem. This is a great site and everyone wants to help. I feel like a local. Thanks again
Aspenoldman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts