Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, first time poster -- posting for my father in law. He has a 1986 Goldwing which has 140k on it and developed a problem. While he is driving it will occasionally stall. He said it might go 200 miles then stall, then 500 miles before the next stall. It has always happened while he is traveling down the road at highway speeds. He says it feels like he hit the kill switch and it loses all power.

Typically it will restart, but not always right away. One time when it stalled he tested the plugs for spark and there was none. Can the coils on these be intermittent? I typically thought they would simply go capput when they were done. Anything else it might be?

Thanks for the help!!!

MM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds to me like you've got a switch(kill switch, ignition switch) going bad or another short in the wiring somewhere. Those are pretty hard to diagnose when they're intermittent like that. But it would only be in the system directly responsible for running the engine, as opposed to the charging system or accessories so you can rule those out (at least initially).
The 1200's do have a tendency to heat up where the stock stator wires run under the left cover(my 86 did that so I hard wired them to avoid the same issue from recurring). That specific issue generally leads to a dead battery because while the engine is not getting the charge from the stator, it will run off the battery before it dies and will die slowly. Mine ran 100 miles before it finally died 6 miles from home. There might be another wire melted or cracked somewhere in the innards though. Sorry I'm not much help.
Good luck.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi MM. the 86 wings had a plastic ign switch base which would slowly over the years melt an cause the m/c to shut down at intermittent times. EMGO which is an aftermarket parts supplier has a replacement switch base for around $20 that should fix your troubles. its not a hard part to install an only requires pulling the ign switch off the top triple clamp brkt.goodluck

·
Registered
470 Posts
Another thing to check is the "dog bone" fuses that are on the starter relay, they tend to get hairline cracks in them and will open up when the get warm.:eek:

·
Registered
137 Posts
OK here is one you might want to check --- had the same problem on a 1996 wing--- check the timing belts and the induction pick ups --if they are worn and alowing the bike to get slightly out of time it will stall--- when they cool down they will work again. I was a problem to find this problem but once they were changed the bike ran great for about 50000 more miles (till I sold it)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts