Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 aspencade 1200 my problem is when I try to start it I get nothing the lights all wprk and they go out when I press the start button but nothing Then sometimes it will start but after running for about 5 min it quits and nothing again any suggestions on what could be the problem?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd start with the battery. If that's good I'd immediately suspect the stator's shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help

I know this is totaly off topic but could some one please help. i"m new and would really like to post but don't know how. help.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi bob, do you hear the starter relay clicking when you depress the start button? if not, go to the relay mounted next to the battery[left side cover] your battery positive wire {red] goes to it. try tapping it to see if it clicks while pressing the starter button. if not replace it. it also has main fuses connected to it. ? let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the switch next to the battery off completely and put it on my 1981 1100 and it started right away then I put the switch from the 1100 on the 1200 and the same thing it wouldnt start. there is no noise at all when I depress the starter button the lights go out and there is nothing but if I bypass the switch and go direct to the starter it turns over??? almost seems like it is in the starter button itself but why when it does start after a few minutes it cuts out??

·
Registered
151 Posts
bob, power to the ecm comes from the kill switch an starter relay power comes from the start button both located in the right handlebar switch. you may have gremlins in the switch. carefully open it up an have a look. maybe bad,frayed,or loose connections. good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info it sure seems like the trouble may be in the starter button or kill switch the bike was stored for four years so there may be a need for a goog cleaning of the whole switch I am currently away on buisness and will not be home for another two weeks but I will try what you say when I get home and will keep you posted I really appreciate your help. I am going to try to send you a pic of the bike it is really sharp I have a 1981 1100 but got a real good deal on this one and when it does run it sounds good. it will not let me add it as an attachment but if you send me your email adress I will send you some pics of it. Bob Burchell

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
do you have a loose ground wire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts