Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 1985 fuel injected in really nice shape. The trip computer screen doesn't light up. Searched for a fix but haven't found anything. Anyone here have knowledge on how to make it work?

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
If I remember correctly the '85 and'86 fuel injected versions were very problematic when it came to the displays. We had one member, years ago, that had problems with his and I don't recall it ever being resolved.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hey Mophead - These fuel injected GW bikes 1985 Ltd (Limited) and 1986 Sei (Special Edition Injected) are getting pretty rare and were an absolute marvel of their time. But even when they were new, a significant part of ownership has always involved the cost and availability of parts plus finding a tech experienced enough to keep the FI system working properly. At the time, it wasn't that factory training wasn't provided to the dealerships, just that the only opportunity to use that training was often inbetween working on many many carburetor equipped bikes. Now-a-days all these skilled techs have long ago retired to one of the islands in the Caribbean.......

The operational design of the Limited and Special Injected Edition GW FI system was excellent and the components Honda used were very rugged and reliable. It was the (106 - a bit of an exaggeration) loose electrical sockets, corroded sensor pin connections, moisture capturing (deteriorated) weather proof seals and/or a questionable ground that was usually found to be the cause of a performance complaint.

If the bike is running and only the trip computer display is inop - you are 90% home. I still have a few notes left from working on a couple of these bikes that might help. Circuit wise, the "Travel Computer" sits in between all the FI Computer (In/Out) signals and the Instrument Gauge Panel inputs and may seem daunting but is really not that difficult to sort out. The Trip Computer "Display" circuitry is known to develop hairline cracks in it's main circuit board. The cause was thought to be from age after too much exposure to the heat of the sun. Sometimes after removing and disassembling the Travel Computer enclosure, you can locate a bad connection using a magnefying glass and carefully resoldering the circuit board crack.

Before getting out the soldering iron - check the power fuses connected to the Travel Computer connector plug - Red wire inline fuse (7.5 amp), Main Fuse Panel - Fuse #3 (15 amp), Fuse #6 (10 amp) and Fuse #7 (10 amp). Then check the 2 display primary ground wires (Green and Green/Black).

Good Luck, Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Michael,

Thanks for the info. You are correct that a lot of electrical problems on older bikes are from loose and corroded connections. I just came across this bike and it is in really good shape paint and operation wise. I'm really leaning more toward a nekkid 1100 for just cruising around on a nice day. Analog speedo and tach, no abs, no fairing or bags, but rather a simple bike to mess with. I have an 18 wing and a 14 FJR ES so tech is pretty much covered.
The LTD I found would provide somebody lots of nice touring miles for cheap, even if the trip computer never works again. Figure a way to Bluetooth it and just go ride.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
Thanks, Michael , great information.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hey Mophead - Looking through one of the maintenance note books I keep on all the bikes I've worked on was a 1986 Sei write-up with a dead Trip Computer. A friend had bought this project bike for the price of a couple of tires and a battery because it had been sitting for so many years.

We flushed out the fuel system (new fuel pump, filters, etc...), and cleaned the fuse panel/relay sockets with a toothbrush. Then sprayed all the electrical harnesses with WD40 to soften them up a bit and the fuel injection connectors with "CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner". Once it was running, everything - including the instrument panel, stereo and CB came back to life. Only the Trip Computer was inop but this turned out to be a blown 7.5 amp inline fuse under the left map pocket. He rode that bike for 8 years without any serious problems before giving it to his son.

I crossed paths with a pristine example of a 85 Ltd at a rest stop 2 years ago. The owner said @ 162k miles it was still running like a fine watch. Lots of impressive wizardry and gizmos on those things. :)

Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts