Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thankful for finding this group as I need resources such as you guys to help me in learning my new bike.
Recently purchased this bike have put about 2000 miles on her all ran fine till three days ago when I began hearing what I think is lifter/valve knocking/rattling. Seems to start once engine is warm and switches from side to side. I am new to Honda and would appreciate any advice you folks are willing to offer me. I do not want to ruin this bike. Comes and goes too as I ride. Thought perhpas at only low RPM but that does not seem to always jive. I am thankful for any advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks in advance, I will be waiting.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
7,607 Posts
With the age of the bike were the timing belts changed?
Only the 1200 and 1500 came with 'Hydraulic Tappets' it may be sticking or worn.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Did you do an oil change when you first got the bike? The lifters on my 1200 will start to rattle if I try to extend the oil change past 2,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Change the oil and the timing belts. Check the stator connector.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
i get the lifter rattle on my 1200 to but not as much since i started using 20w 50 in hot weather like we are having now

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
An odd problem if it's moving around like that. I'd add 4-6oz Seafoam to the crankcase/transmission, run it for 100-500 miles and then do oil change with filter and come back with a good synthetic oil, whether Amsoil or others at spec. If things are sticking that should clear it up; if not, may just be wear as TL said.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Did you change the oil filter?

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
gld,

The timing belts have "teeth" so not likely they jumped a tooth even if they could use tightening. Check and replace to put your mind at ease; pretty cheap and simple peace of mind with 27 year old belts. And, unlikely the cause of the noise.

"Sounds bad." Like what? More and louder lifter noise? Just cleaning it inside shouldn't produce a worse symptom unless "goo" was keeping it artificially quiet! OK, calling upon one of the "Yodas" in the group, knelson1969! What do you think? What confuses me is the description of it running like a top except for the noise. Not a broken valve spring/dropped valve with that. Broken tappet shim? This requires brain power beyond a bison's capability!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just my 2cents but something else comes to mind have you ever sync. your carbs as this could cause shattering in the engine. After you get the oil changed over try sycn. your carbs and hopefully this will help. Hal

·
Registered
674 Posts
With any motorcycle you should know that your ride is in good shape and not be worried about it while your riding. With this being said it sounds like you need to test the oil pressure and inspect any and all preventive maintenance items like the timing belt, T-stat, cooling fans water temperature etc. your bike is a bit older and you should know that the bike is not overheating,not running with low oil pressure, not running with a stretched Timing belt or valves out of adjustment. these are simple things to check and once you go though the bike checking it out completely you will get to know your bike better than ever and once you know the bike is safe to ride you will enjoy it much more. I had a 99 Dyna Wide glide and that bike sounded like it had a lifter noise once it was warmed up. after checking it out I found a loose clamp on the exhaust cover was causing my problem.
So keep in mind even knowing you should make sure your engine is mechanically sound
and well tuned for piece of mind, that the sound that has you worried may be from something unrelated to the engine.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Just curious as to how things have progressed or changed for you. Did you get a chance to do some of the checks that were mentioned? Here's some stuff out of the service manual hta may help:
Low compression or uneven compression
• Valves
— Sticking hydraulic tappet adjuster
— Incorrect hydraulic adjuster shim
— Incorrect valve clearance
— Burned or bent valves
— Incorrect valve timing
— Sticking valve
— Broken valve spring
• Cylinder Head
— Leaking or damaged head gasket
— Warped or cracked cylinder head
• Camshaft
— Worn or damaged timing belt
— Loose pulley or drive key
— Worn or damaged belt tensioner pulley
• Engine lower end problems (See section 11)
Compression too high
• Excessive carbon build-up on piston head or combustion
chamber
Excessive noise
• Hydraulic Tappet Adjuster
— Air in hydraulic tappet adjuster or improper installation
- Worn or sticking adjuster
- Clogged cylinder head oil holes or orifices
— Broken or weak assist spring
- Sticking or damaged assist shaft
— Use of improper shim
• Worn valve stem
• Sticking valve or broken valve spring
• Damaged rocker arm or camshaft
• Loose or damaged camshaft drive belt
• Loose or damaged drive belt tensioners or drive pulleys.
Contaminated engine oil or coolant
• Leaking or blown head gasket
• Leaking core plugs
• Damaged or warped cylinder head

Some of this may appear somewhat scary, but it may not be one of the more serious faults listed. I'd bet on the tappet adjuster or the timing belt thing. I do remember my 1200 made some noise at times, but not always and typically on the right hand bank after sitting on the side stand for a prolonged period. It had over 160k when I sold it and it was still very strong.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Glad to hear your '85 is running better/quieter!

Now, be sure to take care of each of the things in members' recent posts in this thread as time/$ permits. It all gives you peace of mind, better performance, and better knowledge of your Wing. Especially those of us with older Wings have to really keep on basic maintenance. Our machines are not quite as forgiving as they once were.;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am glad you were able to get your symptoms to go away. keep your nose close to the oil dipstick for awhile to see if the fuel smell returns. ride safe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.