Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and need some advice. I am selling my uncle's 1985 GW 1200 Interstate for him due to his knee problems. It's been sitting for 5 years and now the rear brake pedal goes to the floor. I read the manual and understand the handlebar reservoir is for the right front brake, and the rear reservoir is for the rear brake and front left brake. I bought a vacuum bleeder and bled from the bleeder valves all 3 calipers. This effort has led to a spongy front brake lever and no brakes at all on the rear pedal. I've bled several times using the directions that came with the bleeder.

As best I can see, there is no brake fluid leaking from the bike. And the bike has never been in an accident. Any ideas what to check next? Also, does anyone know a good GW mechanic in the San Franciso Bay Area who could fix the brakes (if I can't)?

Thanks in advance, Paul Van Loon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
welcome to the forum. ya came to the right place for GW ?'s. does sound like you got air in the lines. as i just said on another thread I use the gravity bleed system. since the bike has been sitting for a while. i would start by removing any fluid in the reservoir on both systems . as you said the reservoir on the bars is for the right front, the reservoir for the left front and rear brake is under the left side cover. once you have removed and refilled with fresh fluid, just crak the bleeder valve at each brake one at a time let it drip for a bit to flush out all old fluid do not let the reservoir run empty. once you clean fluid dripping close the bleeder valve and test. if still squishy let drip a while longer and try again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On this bike, I found out the front RIGHT brake and rear brake work together (not the front left as stated in the manual). I'm not sure why it is this way. Once I figure this out, I bled the rear and then the front right, and it worked perfecto. Thanks for you help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts