Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Darryl and I am about to start a restore project and thought this might be a good place to start. The Bike I will be working on is a 1985 Honda GoldWing 1200 limited. It has only 25,000 miles on it then it was put into storage for the past 15 years or so. I bought it 5 years ago and added fresh gas and got it to start and run, but the brakes wouldnt pump up and I see a fork seal leak. I let it sit another couple of years in my shop but now its time to get to work on it. I know I need new tires and battery, gonna hafta rebuild the brake system and replace the fork seals but not sure what else I should be looking at. I know my way around cars a bit and I have a great shop to work in so I think this will be a fun project. Looking FWD to working with you guys. Any advice and/or help is greatly apreciated.

Darryl

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Darryl, welcome to the site from Pa. There are several 1200 guys here & they are active so I'm sure you'll get the help you're looking for. Also there are some good mechanics here as well. Come in kick off your shoes & ask the questions.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
helo and welcome to GWOF darryl, you'll want to change those timingbelts too

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Darryl, another welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I'm sure the 1200 guys will be posting some help. I have a friend who lives in Libery Lakes in your beautiful state. He is restoring a 33 Plymouth roadster. Took it all the way out there in pieces from Pa. It's a great thing to do if you have the time and talent. Enjoy your project and ride safe.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello, My name is Darryl and I am about to start a restore project and thought this might be a good place to start. The Bike I will be working on is a 1985 Honda GoldWing 1200 limited. It has only 25,000 miles on it then it was put into storage for the past 15 years or so. I bought it 5 years ago and added fresh gas and got it to start and run, but the brakes wouldnt pump up and I see a fork seal leak. I let it sit another couple of years in my shop but now its time to get to work on it. I know I need new tires and battery, gonna hafta rebuild the brake system and replace the fork seals but not sure what else I should be looking at. I know my way around cars a bit and I have a great shop to work in so I think this will be a fun project. Looking FWD to working with you guys. Any advice and/or help is greatly apreciated.

Darryl
You have an excellent MC there Darryl well worth the time it takes to revitalize it. There's many of us here on the site with GL1200's and some of us with LTD's. I just finished bringing my LTD up to Collectors Plate standards. We take pride in our ride,25 years old this year and runs like new,51,000 miles. You're fortunate to have one,they seem to run forever if properly serviced and taken care of. I looked for a good LTD for quite awhile before settling on the one I have,they're getting harder to find and are now being sought after by collectors like myself.

-Robert-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the wonderful and warm welcome as well as the advice on the timing belts buzzard (had'nt thought of that one). Im sure there will be lots of things I wont think of which is why I am here, not only for the guidance but also to share the experiance. I do have a few questions to start with tho.
1) Is this the best thread area to be in for this kind of project.
2) I would like to post pics of the bike as is, as well as thru out the project, sort of like "stickies" or "write ups" of certin tasks along the way. What is the best way to do this? I am a member of a nissan maxima group that has these step by step instructions that have helped me out alot in my automible world. I would like to find some of these and also make some of these.
3) My plan is to wait till I get my Clymers book (ordered it last week) then start by taking the whole outer shell of the bike off and see what the heart of this machine has. As I said before, this bike has sat for a long time, indoors and all but still subject to wide temp swings. Is this a smart plan?

Again I just want to say thank you for welcoming me into your world, this should be alot of fun.

Darryl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts