Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a 1984 limited and need to replace the starter. Now the book calls for motor R&R to do the starter due to the starter drive sproket and chain. I have drilled the rear cover, (carefully keep chips out of the engine), so that I could use a welding wire to "push" the starter out so I retain the sprocket and chain. Well, it has worked so far, I have the starter out, and still have the chain in place. My question is this, is the 1984 starter the same as a 1985 starter? I saw an 84 starter on ebay, and it had the cable connect to the end of the starter farthest from the drive end, mine is on the end CLOSEST to the drive end, just like the 85 starter I found. Before I order on on line, I would just like to be sure that it is the same, I am 99.9% sure that it is. To cover the 13/32 hole I am going to machine a ring and make a cover for it, the ring will be around 2" in diameter. The cover will be held on my 4 socket head cap screws, and the ring will be epoxied on, (the diecast cover does NOT weld well or IU would do that.)
Thanks
Tom

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hey tom where ya been? all you have to do is put the bike on the center stand. the 1200 motors have a boss inside to keep the chain and sprocket from dropping in the motor and don't you mean an '85 ltd -)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey tom where ya been? all you have to do is put the bike on the center stand. the 1200 motors have a boss inside to keep the chain and sprocket from dropping in the motor and don't you mean an '85 ltd -)
Been working for a living, and launching a side business that makes parts, www.grasshutperformance.com All this working for a living is a real pain! According to my manual, the 84 and 85 1200 do NOT have the cast in boss, while the 86 and 87 DO.
Mine does not appear to have the boss. I have a "safety" welding wire pushed in where the boss would be, then the wire through the sprocket, and when I look in from the starter side, I cannot see any boss. Anyway, long story short, I pulled the starter apart, and it is just worn out, not destroyed. So I ordered a rebuild kit for it. I will take a clean up cut on the commutator on my lathe, clean it up, put it together, bench test it, and away we go! When the first snow hits, I will take the bike off the road and do the timing belts, remove the cams and followers and have them teflon coated, and teflon coat the oil pump if it is not too hard to get out. Thank God I can do this stuff myself, I hate to think what it would cost to pay someone!
Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I went ahead and rebuilt the starter. It spins that motor faster than it EVER did before, by a bunch! The hole I drilled in the rear cover was the hot ticket. I made a piece of aluminum around 1.625" diameter with a 1/2 13 threaded hole in the middle. I epoxied that onto the rear cover. The threaded hole has a good sized countersink for the oring on the bolt. The epoxy I used is a marine epoxy and is made to work even under water! Should I ever need to do this again, I will make a spring loaded tool to thread into the 1/2 13 threaded hole and that way I will not have to use a hand to slip the welding wire into the hole, the spring loaded tool will do it for me. Anyway, finally riding the bike again, yippy!!!
Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts