Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has offered me his 1984 Interstate. He is getting to old to ride. He bought it brand new and it has 25000 miles on it. It doesn't have a whole lot of ginger bread on it but it is very clean...never down. I currently own a 1996 1100 Shadow that I like very much. Very clean and sounds good. Perfect for one rider. However....I would like to get my wife more involved in riding and the Shadow just does not fit her.alittle "undersized" for any riding of any distance, which is something that I would really would like to start doing. No more that 200 miles at any given time. Will this Goldwing be that much noticeable to her as far as comfort? I like the look of the bike and another friend told me the 1200 should be plenty with it being a little lighter to handle than a newer bigger bike. I don't have any intentions of "touring", but do want to ride comfortably two up for at least a day at a time. He has offered for me to take it for a day or two. I just need to "sell" this bike to my wife. I'm thinking he will ask about $3000 for it. A fairly inexpensive expenditure for something that will do everything that I want out of it.. Thanks for your input dw

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
still have my 1100 shadow sabre with same story. I bought a gl1500-the most expensive back seat I ever bought.

It took 15 minutes for my wife to give me a big smile and 2 thumbs up. I also found the wing to be better ride on the highway with traffic.

In short, it was well worth it.

Take the offer to try it out, get your legs and let her tell you what she thinks. As we all well know, we are only as happy as least happy one of the group.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. I'm sure your SO would love riding on the Wing. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

Welcome from Seattle!

Don't hesitate. Buy it. You can always get a newer one later. I bought a 94 Interstate 1500 in Sept of last year and never had a regret in doing so. I just sold my Volusia cruiser today.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I had a VTX for three years and the wife never even sat on it, nor have we ever rode a motorcycle together our entire 28 years together. I took her down to the Honda dealer and put her on a Goldwing. That was it. Three months later one came up on Craig's List in her choice of color ( note, HER choice of color ) . Yesterday she stopped by the Honda store and came home with some riding gear and she did that all on her own. This proves that she likes her bike.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello deeduba, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
76 Posts
My wife won't get on anything without a sissy bar or a windshield. Rode on my friends Goldwing and she was hooked. That's why I just bought my 83 Interstate so she would ride more. Good luck.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
My missus and I toured many happy miles and trips on our 1200. Most miles I've put on any of the bikes I've ever owned (167,000 on it when I sent it to a new owner). All I did in the comfort for the tush department was to use a faux sheepskin cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts