Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Honda Goldwing which I have put about 3K miles on myself. My concern is that during days of about 90 degrees, the water temp guage goes near the black area prior to the red overheat position. The fan is running at that time. When I kill the engine and try to start it, the starter motor has a difficult time turning over the engine. When I spoke with a mechanic at the Honda dealer, he indicated that what i was experiencing was not uncommon and nothing to worry about. I plan to take about a 2,500 mile trip and am concerned about this issue. I plan to use Royal Purple Full synthetic Motorcycle oil in an attempt to cool the engine.

Is my bike overheating? And should I worry about it? On cool days, the guage is rock solid at "thermostatic temperature".

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
how is the water pump, thermostst, radiator cap, hoses, and age of coolant

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1984 Goldwing Overheating

Those are good questions. I can not answer any of them.

However, from your perspective, I do have a problem that I must investigate further? The action of the gauge is "not normal"?

I will certainly replace the radiator cap--that is easy.

Thanks for responding!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
at least do a flush and fill before taking a long trip. i haven't had a long trip on my '84 aspy, infact my longest ride on it was about an hour each way in 80 degree weather and the fan never came on. onec in stop and go traffic the fan came on but went off a few minutes after the bike was moving and some air passed through the radiator. the starter is just under the left header and the heat from the header is known to effect the starter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
William,

I will do a flush and fill, change the radiator cap, perhaps even replace the thermostat if that is not too hard. The Honda mechanic simply stated: "If it is not getting into the red, it is not overheating", therefore you dont need to worry.

As I stated in my original note, I will also put the best available synthetic oil (which is know to make engines run cooler) into the bike. This should help prevent any unnecessary wear from "overheating" and may make it easier to start. I have seen evaluations of this oil on Amazon with the experience showing much less engine heat.

http://www.royalpurple.com/motorcycle-oil.html

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

I assume u like yiour 1984 as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
William,I will do a flush and fill, change the radiator cap, perhaps even replace the thermostat if that is not too hard. The Honda mechanic simply stated: "If it is not getting into the red, it is not overheating", therefore you dont need to worry.

As I stated in my original note, I will also put the best available synthetic oil (which is know to make engines run cooler) into the bike. This should help prevent any unnecessary wear from "overheating" and may make it easier to start. I have seen evaluations of this oil on Amazon with the experience showing much less engine heat.

http://www.royalpurple.com/motorcycle-oil.html

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!

I assume u like yiour 1984 as much as I do mine.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
691 Posts
You may want to pull the plugs and look for coolant on a cylender. A bad head gasket is suspect here due to the problem with a hot start. The other suggestions herein also valid causes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your thoughts. I changed the plugs, no indication of anything there. My experience with the problem you mentioned is that the thing would overheat drastically.

However, putting the best synthetic oil in it that I referenced in an earlier comment, did wonders. No more overheating, much smoother shifting, overhall better performance. I am amazed.

I am still slightly concerned that I may have a sticky thermostat, because sometimes it was worse that others. I was going to replace everything prior to the trip: radiator, thermostat, hoses, fan switch temperature gage and be done. But that no longer seems necessary. Possibly the thermostat. I am still testing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
By the way, while restoring the 95 I will install a switch to manualy turn on the fans when in heavy trafic, parades, ect

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just took my 84 GL1200 for a shakedown cruise this last weekend. I was in 97+ degree weather. The temp guage was at about 2/3 and never wnet into the red. My forks did start leaking though. I was riding for 1.5 hours each way. I only got the bike 3 weeks ago. I recently did a rad flush due to the alternator conversion though. I suspected it was normal for the bike to get that hot. I was right from what I hear.

remember, ride it like you stole it. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1984 Goldwing Overheating

Thanks so much. That is very interesting. Real comparable data. The day it was over 90 degress is when i first started worrying about an overheat condition.

That day got the temperature guage at about 80%--1/8 inch from the black area prior to the red area.

Sounds like that may be normal. As i have stated earlier, the Royal Purple motorcycle oil has "done wonders" for the bike, including running at a lower temperature on the guage.

I have not had my bike in hot weather since the over 90 degree day. Will be taking it to Montana pretty soon, where it can get quite hot. That will be the real test. However, I dont expect a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts