Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here.

I currently ride a Yamaha v-star and have about 50Kmi on it. I am thinking of going and looking at a 84 goldwing. It has very low miles, it seems that the PO purchased it, rode very little, decided riding wasn't for him. He then put it in his fathers barn where it sat.

His father knows my father and the number of $1,200 was thrown out.

I was told that while moving it the clutch seemed sticky. Other than that, it has low miles and have never been on its side.

I have not seen it yet and was thinking of going and taking a look. Is there anything in particular that I should look at or be concerned with?

I have recently returned to grad school and am watching my pennies. I am thinking that this would make a better commuter than my v-star.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
check

check the seals on the suspension to see if they are aged/cracked/leaking

get the old gas out of it before you start it - it will gum up the carbs

check the engine around the gaskets after you run it with new gas,

make sure the engine has enough oil before you start it.

tires, seat etc can also deteriorate

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF robertc. check under the bike for rusting around the centerstand mounting point, clutch and brake lines too

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Depending on how long it has been sitting you could have a lot of work on your hands. First you will need to flush all fluids and probably rebuild the carbs, put on new tires and a lot of the rubber gasket could be dried out and in need of replacing, then once you get it running there is always the dreaded stator problem on the 1200 Wings. If you can do the work yourself and have the time than go for it, but remember you will have a project on your hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts