Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the replys on 1200 Interstate. Checked with Honda dealer today. He said stater problems on 1984 1200 were common and said engine removal was involved. About $1000 repair. He said most problems involved bikes that had many add ons...lights...trailer...grip warmers...etc. Does anybody have an oppinion on that? Other goldwing riders have told me to get a 1500...they are a much better bike. What they don't understand is that I am NOT LOOKING for a bike....this one has just become available to me thru a friend. That makes a difference to me. I still think this bike will do everything that I want, which is ride my wife and my self in much more comfort than the 1100 Shadow that I now have, for 5 years or so. This bike is VERY clean, one owner, with 25000 miles on it. Any replys would be welcomed. Thanks again dw

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
I have just brought a 1200 and if I get a poblem with the charging system I will spend whatever it cost to fix it properly. Somewhere on this sight is a cheap fix for that problem. My bike has covered 80000 miles and may have already been fix but I will not worry about it until it shows up as a problem. At a later date I am going to take the starter out and check the brushes and bearing and lube it because heat is a killer for any electrical motor. Clean cables and good contact help the starter. With such low miles I wouldn't mind that bike myself. Go to the effort to change all fluids and the belts and tires if it has been standing for awhile. Then it will serve you well. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
never mind what others say enjoy your 1200 wing, they are very capable bikes. worry about the stator when the time comes. i know if i keep my 1200 i'll get a poorboy kit for it and put it aside just incase the stator fails

·
Registered
123 Posts
never mind what others say enjoy your 1200 wing, they are very capable bikes. worry about the stator when the time comes. i know if i keep my 1200 i'll get a poorboy kit for it and put it aside just incase the stator fails
Ditto, though if the stator hasn't been replaced I might just go ahead and do the conversion. Mine failed 350 miles from home, which was no fun. I ended up having a shop in Ohio replace the stator, rather than trying to get it home and do the conversion.
If you're getting a good deal on the bike, buy it. You may never have a problem. Mine was about the worst case, and even having to put $1000 into it didn't change my mind that I've got a heck of a great bike for a lot less than anybody I know. And now I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's not a question of IF the stator will fail, it's WHEN and where will you be? The 1200 is a good bike, I had one and put a about 50,000 miles on it. My stator went out on the way home from the Honda shop when I bought my new 92 Gold Wing, Over $1,000 to repair it before I could sell it. But that was a selling point!! Check with a Honda shop and see if the stator is available.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Buy it.... ride it. If you find yourself neglecting your Honda 1100 as many of us have done, then sell that to one of those pirates and buy yourself a 1500.

In other words, try a Goldwing. It might not be your thing. If it is.... and your 1200 is not giving you fits, you won that debate that is going on in your head.

Before you buy, you should do a little more investigation. (my opinion)

Look at the differences between the 1500 and the 1200. The 1200 was only made for a few years. The 1500 was made for over 12 years and has a major amount of technology advances on it. Used parts are all over the place and there are many mechanic shops that welcome the 1500 12 years after they have stopped production.

I started my search for a wing in the mid 80's bike and moved to the 1500 before I spent a nickel. I am so happy I did. I don't want to take anything away from the older wings, as they have been dependable / reliable.

I just sold my cruiser. (Suzuki Volusia) I am gonna bank that money and I am giving this 1500 another year at least before I start looking for an 1800.

DID I SAY..... I JUST LOVE MY WING AND I AM SO GLAD I MADE THE DECISION TO BUY IT?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
1200's are great bikes. Do yourself a favour and install a voltmeter and then you can always tell the condition of your charging system. Saved my butt a couple times out on the road, I could see the stator was failing so I didn't get stranded.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1984 interstate purchase

Ok...so I went by and looked at 1984 Goldwing today. My friend ordered the bike in 84....he wanted crimson color. It has 25100 miles on it. The paint is PERFECT...the chrome has some very minor rust...000steel wool would do it. No dents. Tires are very good..Am/Fm cassete..no cb. Needs Battery. Talked to him about stator. Is aware of problems but believes battery is dead from sitting. So, if stator should go bad in next couple of years or so add $1000 to price. He asked me, I said $2500 as is, and we left it at that. Still a fair price I believe. Still haven't rode bike yet...waiting on him to P/U battery. He insists if bike starts, he would ride to New York with no qualms. Any thoughts on your end? Thanks for the responce's dw

·
Registered
123 Posts
How long has it been sitting? Original tires? Have you tried jumping it to see if it will start?
I'd say you made a fair offer, but you need to go into it with your eyes wide open. If it's been sitting a long time it may need some work to get it running. If the tires are old you'll want to replace them - even if they look good they'll rot in 25 years.
With only 21K miles you could probably do some easy mods that would alleviate the load on the stator and run it quite a while before it becomes a problem.
Good luck! Sounds like you could end up with a great bike for a good price, all other things being equal.

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Deeduba, you made a fair offer. Check the three yellow wires to the left of the battery. They originally went through a connector, that tended to burn up, causing the stator to fail prematurely. If the connector is eliminated and the wires soldered together, there is less of a chance of stator failure.
I agree with the others, if it has been sitting for an extended period, you will need to do fuel system cleaning/work. The 1200 has four carburetors and they tend to gum up. If it starts and runs well, buy it and enjoy it. If it needs a little work, buy it fix it and enjoy it! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts