Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a 1983 honda goldwing gl1100. I was wondering if the motor is over head valve or what exactly it was and how to find out if it is over head valve or not. also dose the 83 gl 1100 have "points" and are they hard to change.

i possibly have to rebuild the motor because the piston or something slaped the first spark plug on the left side HARD. so i am just trying to see what i have to do to fix this problem. and how to actually figure out what happened. (what caused it to happen) i really want to fix it.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
355 Posts
They are interference motors and it may have bent a valve or put a hole in your piston head you wont know until you get her open and take a look. good luck and hope it did not do to much damage. And you may have a broken timing belt or it may have jumped a tooth as far as points Im not sure on a 83 but I have a 84 & 85 and they should not be to different. Good Luck Hal

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Hey,

I have an '83 1100, too. I reckon they can be called DCOV (double cam overhead valves) but I haven't gotten into it yet. Still working on the '85 Aspencade recently acquired with the '83.

The spark plug being "slapped off, hard" doesn't make sense to me; I mean it's not like a lot of the plug sticks into the cylinder. And, if that's what happened, that's what happened. If your piston "ran wild" then, yes, there will be some work involved at the main bearings, connecting rods, wrist pins or whatever. No worries, none of it is that tough, because the machine is well designed, as in designed to be maintained for long term use.

·
Super Moderator
7,640 Posts
dsuhmibt18
I have a Honda factory service manual for the GL1100.
Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi there and welcome. trike lady has a manual for you. This is the first place to start.
read the entire section on removing and replacing the timing belt, this will show you the tools you will need just to check the timing of the gears. if the belt is timed properly you may rent out a scope to inspect the piston in question. because if you have a hole in a piston you may be better off with a used engine.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Until you get your manual, check out the URL below shared by Bamaeagle earlier. I studied it before doing my belts this weekend. You can just check out the section with the timing mark alignment. While the fellow making the video leaves the plugs in, I had to take mine out while moving the engine with a 19mm wrench on the crankshaft nut. Too much compression to pull against, and I'm not complaining about it!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200timingbelts.htm

·
Super Moderator
11,946 Posts
also, where is a good place to look for a used motor? ebay had one but it had 97000 miles and wanted $1,700 for it.
are there motors from other years that would work in my bike or only the 83 1100?

thanks!!

$1,700.00 would buy you the whole bike! :eek:

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
I think someone said the later GL 1000 mills would fit the 1100 chassis, but I'm not positive so don't take my word for it. The 1200 is definitely different, and the valve train in the 1200 was hydraulic not screw adjusted for lash like the 1000 and 1100 were. Seems to me the 1100s went to electronic ignition and the 1000 were points. There's quite a few things about the older Wings that I have trouble pulling out of my weak memory.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.