Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own an 1983 goldwing gl1100i an was wondering about 5 gear.is it an overdrive gear?first thru fourth gears seem to be fairly qiuck but as soon as i shift to 5th the acceleration is slow.just wandering this is my first goldwing an i been riding it for 3 months now.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Rocky... not sure on your 1100 but would venture to guess that 5th gear is your OD, far as I know it is considered OD on the later models. I'm sure someone will either confirm or deny this :D

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
5th gear on all wings is an overdrive gear. 1100 wings like to be reved. i don't use 5th on my 1200 until i know that the rpm will be over 2200

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
When you talk about the 1800 you will find yourself in 5th gear most of the time. They call it " over -drive " for us also , but for some of us it's just the end of our shift options.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
When you talk about the 1800 you will find yourself in 5th gear most of the time. They call it " over -drive " for us also , but for some of us it's just the end of our shift options.
my 1500 is the same way, just shift tio 5th and roll

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Fifth gear on Wings is overdriven, but I don't recall the final drive ration. It's available on Wingfacts or Steve Saunders site.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
some of the ratios for the rear are as high as 3.40 ( early 1000 wings ) but most are lower. honda wanted to keep cruising rpm down to help control vibration to make riding more comfortable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts