Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to the site and new to my Goldwing. I have a 1983 GL1100I and I'm want to remove the front fairing and just mount the headlight. Does anybody have any ideas or is there a fairing eliminator kit, because I will have to remount the mirrors as well. Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Fairing eliminator kit? Yeah, it's called a 10-ga. shotgun with 00 buckshot, but the collateral damage ain't worth the quick fix!:eek:

My '83 came with an aftermarket Vetter fairing as it was an SE not an Interstate. But, based on the '85 stock faring experience, you uncover the top pockets, left and right, remove the "buckets" and look down, moving stuff out of your line of sight with a long handled screwdriver or whatever. You should see a couple of bolt heads or welded nuts (Man, I hate when that happens!:eek::D) that are the connection points of the fairing to an 8-10" flat rail on each side which is bolted/welded to the frame. When you see them, you'll know how to go at them. Don't know if it's the case with yours, but on my Aspy, the fairing is very front heavy, so I hold it in place with a rubber shock cord until ready to remove it. Good luck!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi and welcome, what kind of look are you going for? Is the fairing o.e ?
I don't think you will find a kit however, I would strip it down leaving only the parts you want to keep then see what you have to work with. It seems to me if your going for a custom look this project shouldn't be too hard or expensive. Do you have any pictures of what your working on? This may get some more ideas flowing from the members here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. once you remove the lower fairing covers ( i think 4 screws each side)then you'l see the mounting brackets for the fairing, they should be attached by u bolts to the frame. the fairing should be attached by two nuts under each side them four bolts under the headlight, before you remove the fairing you must remove the storage compartment on the left side by removing the four screws and lifting out. once out disconnect the wiring harness inside. then you can remove the fairing as one unit then the brackets. there is a counter weight mounted where the headlight should mount that needs to be removed. don't try riding it without the counter weight at least till ya get a headlight assembly = front end wobble. now that your stripped mirrors easy they will now mount to your bars that should have the screw holes already there. the headlight and signals can be found on e-bay universal fit clamp on. then it's all about the wiring. If done right once complete and you save all parts. you can change from fairing to naked back and forth in about a hour. best of both worlds. good luck!! if i find the listings for the headlights and signals i will post later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts