Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum thanks in advance for any help. At the end of last season I left the key on and ran the battery down, had to jump the bike. I then rode approx. 10 mi. on the Interstate and at my destination the bike still would not start. Trailered home and left it over the winter with battery tender on (new battery). Now it's spring and I need to ride so I've started checking, replaced solenoid still nothing and when I press starter button all that happens is the headlight goes out. I can however: jump the solenoid and she starts right up. Also I don't remember the neutral light coming on every time I pull the clutch lever is this correct for the bike? 1983 gl1100 Interstate

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
maybe the neutral switch is the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody know where the neutral switch is located, looks like inside the case, and is there a way to test it. Also which is the best service manual for this bike and maybe a link to get one.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
According to the service manual at the front of the engine.
There is a connector with two wires Lg/R and G/O.
In neutral Lg/R to Ground there should be continuity. G/O to Ground no continuity.
In 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear Lg/R to Ground no continuity. G/O to Ground no continuity.
In overdrive Lg/R to Ground no continuity. G/O to Ground continuity.
As for a service manual I suggest the OEM Honda and you can get it here http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=helm
Second choice Clymer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info trike lady,as for the problem it seems that the "TESTED GOOD" solenoid from an ebay seller is not good or I got burned. so I modified a brand new solenoid, not a big job but was to lazy before. And it's amazing how nice weather can be a motivator!!!!! I'll be riding to work in the morning.

If wishes were horses how beggars would ride.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I stay away from E-bay and Craiglist for anything electrical.
Glad you got your bike running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts