Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 1983 goldwing 1100 with 100125 miles bike has a slight knock if you crack the throttle quick or take off at low rpm[witch i try not to do] bike dose not knock in idle or while riding is this normal ??
bye the way this is my first bike and first time on this sight:D

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
hello jesse, welcome to GWOF and welcome to the knockers club :) the knock is normal when accelerating hard when the rpms are low

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
you can try a carb sync but most of the guys i know with an 1100 wing say it doesn't go away thats jus how the motor is

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum jesse. As mentioned above, I would suggest a carb sync to see if that helps the knock.
it will help some

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under. I have never owned a 1100 but the 1200 like's to rev more than it does like to lug. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under. I have never owned a 1100 but the 1200 like's to rev more than it does like to lug. Eric
1000 and 1100 wings like to rev also

Reactions: IndignantOne

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Hey Jesse. I also have a Gl1100i just keep the rvs up as the others have said and all will be fine. these are great bkies mine is at 129K and still going strong. enjoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '82 Vetter-WING (178K) won't knock at sea level with open throttle.

Climbing a grade it will.

Climbing with 1000lb. Bunkhouse trailer and fully loaded baggage it will sound like there's marbles in the engine.

90 or 93 octane cures this knock.

Cruising at sea level with higher octane the seat-feeling is that several more horsepower is available.

So, commuting at sea level I use 87.

Same indications with my ST1300. If I need performance...I buy octane.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Hi Jesse! Welcome to the GWOF!

Good comments above. There are two things in which I strongly believe regarding carburated motorcycles: (1) Clean, clean, clean carbs=using SeaFoam regularly and buying non-oxygenated fuel whenever possible; (2) Carb synchronization.

And, with adjustable valve engines like ours: Those valves must be adjusted on the nut for the engine to perform optimally, and before the carbs are synch'd. I haven't turned my GL1100 over yet except to move lubricant around the bearings and rings. But, after rebuilding the carbs, replacing the timing belts (important to know when/if this has been done. If not, you'll want to do it for peace of mind. Broken timing belts are engine killers.), adjusting the valves, etc. I have no doubt that he'll start. Probably run poorly until the SeaFoam finishes its job of cleaning, but he'll start.

Good luck with your nu2u Classic Wing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.