Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this is my first post and my first Goldwing but definitely not my first motorcycle project.

I bought a 1982 GL1100 from a guy who bought it from a guy. At some point one of the POs put a lot of work into this thing, looks to even have ad the engine painted before installed. Without going into a story that I can't even confirm, at some point the right cam, right timing belt pulley, one of the right exhaust valves/spring, and right timing belt cover were all lost.

Now this isn't a problem, as getting a new cam, pulley, and cover are just a matter of a quick ebay search. The issue is that when I put my ratchet on the stator bolt and turn the engine over the engine feels like its got some kind of catch, like two pieces of metal are making contact with a clunking sound. I have NOT forced it to avoid unknown damage and when I turn the engine the other way (don't worry, i know the risks of loosening that bolt) I also hit a snag. Looks like i'm getting about 3/4 of a turn from my crankshaft in all, with that 1/4 just blocked by something happening down in the motor. I also tried turning in both 5th gear with the tire and with the clutch held, but no dice. And yes, I have pulled the plugs.

So, I was hoping someone may be able to tell me some incredible insightful tidbit about the bike before i resign myself to pulling the engine and cracking the crankcase. I tried to find anything like this online and all I found were people asking about starter/electrical problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Do you have an inspection camera to be able to see if there is anything in one of the cylinders?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, welcome to the forum.

Do you have an inspection camera to be able to see if there is anything in one of the cylinders?
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Recall how in the beginning I said that the right side valve/spring was missing? Turns out that just the spring/seat is gone, and the valve is down in the cylinder blocking the piston. Glad I never forced it. I should be able to get it up with a wire, as its still in the guide/hole but was just out of sight. Glad I asked the question, I had actually forgotten that I even had the inspection camera. My hat is off to you.

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
One reason this forum exists, to help out fellow owners.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Very glad you didn't get ham fisted with the wrench! Yeah Cantankerous is a great guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts