Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 82 aspencade the wireing harnes was melted what causes this ? ive always owned american bikes but want to have a gl and im kinda confused on what might have caused this its a good looking 300 buck bike i would like to get it road worthy any helps appriciated

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Sorry Bob, not enough info. What usually causes melted wiring in my experiance of wiring is poor wiring practices. There really is no reason for any Goldwing wiring to give trouble so I would bet that there may be some accessories that were not fuse protected or the wiring was not large enough. Once one wire starts to melt it will take the others with it.

By the way good luck on the bike & Welcome to the GWOF.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. You will need to get more detail as to where the problem is and wait for someone that knows. I just hate electrical problems. And so as to not hijack you I will have to ask my simular question. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
hello bob, welcome to GWOF. we will need to know where in the harness it melted

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
The only 1100 wiring I've worked on was on the left side to replace some melted wires going to the alternator. If it is the alternator wiring, I recommend soldiering the connection over push connectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found the problem

well the wireing was done terrably for nemerous addons including lights fog lights and a bumper with 13 lights i think all the crap is hedious so im getting rid of it all and replacing the harnes all together someone used wire nuts and misc connectors and speaker wire guess their big mistakes and nemerous dollars in ugly addons just turned into my 350 buck aspencade thats in overall great shape

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
Welcome to the forums Bob. Did you just answer your own question?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The only 1100 wiring I've worked on was on the left side to replace some melted wires going to the alternator. If it is the alternator wiring, I recommend soldiering the connection over push connectors.
Make sure you check these wires, with all those extras on the bike this is probably melted. Also check the stator for volt out put,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on to the next isues

ive got the wires all done now im onto the carbs tank and all the other fun stuff the wire fire started by speakerwire being pinched between the rear support and fender

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Keep us updated bob & when you get it done post some pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts