Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So spring is here and I was looking to buy a newer used bike. However seeing a mechanics special 82 GL1100 started me to focus on older models and evetually I found a running 82 Aspencade listed at $2100 with no radio and some surface rust on the Chrome, newer timing belts and a new rear tire

These old Wings seem to be pretty heavy and I've seen some statements that they're not that easy to handle. This leads me to two questions...

Is a 1982 Apsencade a good choice for a fairly new rider. My thoughts are if I drop it it's not a huge loss. However if the newer VTX bikes are significantly easier to handle then I probably don't want to just focus on price.

What is a good price for a 1982 Apsencade. Using KBB and Nada yield very different estimates and if someone say's theres minor surface rust does that make it a NAND Good and not a Very Good even if it only has 17000 miles?

I just need to know if I should make an offer and if so ensure that I'm being fair to the seller. My previous biking experience has been on an old 1958 Vespa which I restored (yes, I can wrench and paint).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are some nice 1100 & 1200 Gold Wings out there but not knowing the history of the bike and it having rust, I would stay away from it. Try and find a good used 1500 Gold Wing, 92 up if you can. A lot more bike and a lot less problems. The VTX is a great bike also but if you plan on doing a lot of 2 up touring it's not the bike for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I reconsidered and went for the mechanics special (1982 Standard GL1100) instead of the Aspencade. Figured I couldn't go too wrong for $650. Now onto adjusting the carbs. PO stated he had it running yesterday but when I got it it wouldn't crank. Removed the plugs and away she went, blowing lots of rich fumes out of the open holes. Put the plugs back in and it started up but won't idle worth a darn. Time to mechanically sync the carbs and see where I end up...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts