Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 1981 GL1100 with 23,000 miles. It has two (for lack of a better word) outrigger tires that are part of a frame that bolts to the bike. The bike is not driven by these wheels. They are almost like training wheels! Anyone have any knowledge or experience concerning these they would like to share? BTW: I am 74 and just getting back to riding after a ten year absence. The wife feels better with me on a trike than two wheels. It is a different experience!

Anyway, any guidance is appreciated!

·
Registered
36 Posts
congrats on your new to you Wing and getting back in the saddle
what you have there is a bike with an outrigger kit on it. there a a few different models so first need to determine which kit you have. when set up right they can work well and ride fairly decent
one of the issues is most people don't add the easy steer to a bike with an outrigger set up so turning can be a bear. I had bought a bike with the Voyager kit on it and taught my wife how to ride, I had to add the easy steer so she could ride it. get a couple pictures of your set up that will make your questions easier to answer. where are you located
the biggest thing is you need to find a parking lot to go practice in and get a good feel for how it handles. the good thing is your not jumping off a 2 wheel and going to 3 or 4 so it will be easier to relearn how to ride

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. What is an easy steer and where do I find one? All I see on the net is one for boats and Harleys!

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
We had a guy here (Scooter) who put those outrigger wheels on his 1500. This was way back around 2011. One of his funnier posts was when he got distracted and drove off into a fairly steep bar ditch. Thats where he stayed for a pretty long time cause those outrigger wheels were holding his back tire off the ground. I think he finally had to call his wife to come tow him out. So, if its advice you want, Don't try to turn around or drive off into a bar ditch with those outriggers on.
Isaac

·
Registered
36 Posts
the easy steer also called a rake kit can be found from trike shops, I message Papa Zook at trike talk to see if he offers them for your bike. they can be pricey and take a bit of work to install. you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the cost. you can but I don't advise riding the bike with the easy steer if you take the kit off. as Dreamweaver pointed out you can get them high centered and loose traction on the drive wheel. but don't let that worry you as long as you pay attention and learn the rig you may never have it happen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info. At present I think I will put on a steering damper to quell some of the bump steer. I will look into doing an EZ steer when I park the bike during the heat of summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
honestly I never one single time had an issue with steer wobble on my wife's outrigger set up but the wings are bad about it even on their own so you might need to add a damper. just remember adding a damper is going to make turning even harder. I would ride it first to see if you need one. I know on my 1500 with the sidecar it can get a small headshake at slow speed sometimes, under about 15 MPH even with the easy steer and tightening the head bearing a little more than spec. if you know your going to leave the kit on it I would start with tightening the steering head bearing first. do you know what trike kit it is
Voyager, Towpac or another brand

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a problem with wobble, but I do have a problem with what I would call violent kick back when changing road surfaces while turning. I have used dampers before and it helped with the process, and I am not as strong as I used to be. I don't find the steering difficult, just different. As a former Chief Instructor for MSF it is ingrained in my head to 'push' to turn so I am having to re-educate myself in parking lots with learning to steer it like a car!

Question: What kind of tire pressures should the outriggers have and are there any special maintenance procedures they requires?

Thanks again for all the help. This is a whole new world for me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
well again without knowing which kit you have it's hard to comment on special maintenance, as far as pressure I kept hers at about 25 PSI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't find any ID any where on the kit, so I don't know what I have.

Again, thank you so much for your help. I will keep researching and see if I can figure out what I have

·
Registered
36 Posts
does it look like this

·
Registered
36 Posts
never saw that one until now. looks pretty simple and straight forward

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only out rigger type wheel I have seen were electric and came down to the ground when below 10 mph allowing you to stop safely without having to balance ..I have been riding my 93 for many years and now at 74 I wish I could afford a csc trike kit for mine I do not feel as stable as I used to ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently purchased a 1981 GL1100 with 23,000 miles. It has two (for lack of a better word) outrigger tires that are part of a frame that bolts to the bike. The bike is not driven by these wheels. They are almost like training wheels! Anyone have any knowledge or experience concerning these they would like to share? BTW: I am 74 and just getting back to riding after a ten year absence. The wife feels better with me on a trike than two wheels. It is a different experience!

Anyway, any guidance is appreciated!
Like this?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
A couple things - the outrigger type wheels put light contact with the ground during normal straight-line riding as the rear wheel must still have adequate down force for traction, consequently when cornering the bike will actually lean a bit to the outside or backwards which can be a bit unnerving. And due tot he fact motorcycles are not designed to not lean the caster or rake is extreme and will hinder corning due to excessive trail. There is no such thing as a "rake kit" as the rake can not be change without cutting the frame. The misnamed rake kit is really offset triple trees which reduce trail and fork tube angle but have not effect on rake (caster)
In general this type of setup is inexpensive but not a true trike. But it does make more sense than a leaning trike. I would recommend a test ride before laying down any cash, then it's your call.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts