Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this kit and ended up with an extra gasket! Any one know what gasket it is?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey Seth - The water pump rebuild gasket set you bought is typically for several bikes, so there may be one or two "O" rings left over. These kits are complete except for the all important "Spring Loaded Teflon Mechanical Shaft Seal". Here's an example found on Ebay -

Actually it's a worn out shaft seal that is the reason for the water pumps to begin leaking. For some reason this shaft seal is almost always sold separately.

Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Ok thanks for the info on the extra gasket. I was 100% sure all the gaskets I removed I had replacements for so that's good to know. The shaft on the water pump was loose so I just bought a new old stock Honda waterpump online. The old one I tossed looked like some hard plastic, the new one was all metal. Hopefully this will do.
Thanks again!
Seth

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hey Seth - By going with a replacement water pump you saved yourself the cost, assembly and installation of the two bearings and any potential mechanical shaft seal issues. It was good that you caught the shaft wobble before contact with the Bakelite impeller spit debris into the cooling system. The updated metal impeller is preferred for longevity.

Ride Safe - Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts