Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I live near Indy and am looking forward to my new project. While I've had the bike for a few years, my dad bought it new in 1980 so it has never left our hands. Every summer he would ride it out west (Montana/Wyoming/Black Hills/Dakotas) and since next year will mark 20 years since he passed and 40 years since the bike was new, I'm focusing on restoring it -excluding patina- and will likely need a lot of help. I do some amateur auto racing so know how to turn a wrench but there will be a lot of unfamiliarity (air shocks, shaft drive, etc). I'll appreciate any advice! I'll be learning, listening, reading all around the forums. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1980 Goldwing Interstate
Just over 40k miles
Hondaline/Clarion stereo
CB Radio (dated)
Cigarette lighter (also dated)

The plan is to take this bike on a ride along his old trips out West in memory of dad and his pride and joy in the Summer of 2020. Should be a blast!!

Later - Doug

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Outstanding, Doug. We see a lot of bikes restored as a hobby or just for the simple personal amusement. But to have a sentimental attachment must bring so much more to the project.

Good luck. And bring us any and all questions (and photos) 'cause we also want you to keep us posted on the project. If wanted, we might even find a rider or two to go along on the trip.

·
Super Moderator
9,586 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. It's nice that you are honoring and remembering your Dad. This looks more like a 'labor of love" than just another project. Good luck. Lots of guys on the forum that can help you out if you get stuck..

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Welcome to the site. Indeed that's an honorable project and very worthy of some serious love and attention. Depending on how deep yo want to get into it, there's a multitude of things that will help bring back the "glow" in that bike. Obviously the major first concern is making sure it's a solid runner, from there the cosmetic can be dealt with in time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going forward

Cool, thanks everyone. This will be a neat project - and I'm not as overwhelmed since I'm thinking that I won't restore everything to show condition. However, we all know how projects go: 'while I'm in there, I might as well...' Anyways, I'm ready to begin. Should I continue to post here or in a new thread outside the New Member Intro area?

Appreciate the support!!

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Yeah, a build thread in the General section would be great!

Hey grossie, post an intro yourself and add some profile info, an avatar if you want...anything you want to share with the community on things

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Good luck with the restore. Many good people here to lend a bit of knowledge if you need. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts