Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought a barn find 2 years ago. A 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate with 5,000 miles on it. The man I bought it from bought it new in 1980, rode it around for a couple of years, put it in his mother’s garage and that is where it stayed for the past 30 years.

I took it home, cleaned it up, had the carbs rebuilt, started it up and even rode it around for a bit. It was difficult as it took a lot of gas and the choke half open to get it up and going.

I brought it to the mechanic to tune the carb but he said the #4 carb was leaking and couldn’t figure out why. He’s had it for over a year now. He tried a different carb from another goldwing, changed out the electronics and when I spoke with him a couple of days ago, it started a small fire with the leaking gas ignited by a backfire. No damage was done to the bike.

I don’t know if he is missing something or I should bring it to someone else or just give up. I was looking forward to riding this beautiful vintage machine but my patients is running out. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas? You help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hello jcsova, welcome to GWOF. see if you can find someone in your area that knows a thing or two about goldwings

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Thanks. I've been considering that as well. He does sound very knowledgeable with regard to Goldwings but I'm quickly losing faith in him.
That's what they all say. In actuality there are some basic systems that are common to all bikes as most motorcycle mechanics understand at this level. My first mechanic took a long time to re-build my carbs and cussed the tupperware and parts removal. He ended up breaking one piece and improperly installing another. I think part of what I paid for his hourly rate paid for part of his learning on my bike as I doubt he had ever worked on a Wing. He'll never work on my bike again as I've found a shop that usually has a few Wings in for repair and they are experienced working on Gold Wings. I'm learning to now to avoid the shade tree mechanic to save a buck and take it to someone who knows what they're doing and fix it right in the first place. I still have a leaking master cylinder my original mechanic rebuilt and everytime I call him to bring it in he tells me his lifts have other bikes on them and bring it back next week. This has been going on now for several months. You get what you pay for. Go get your bike and take it to a mechanic who knows Goldwings and has worked on them.

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Welcome jcsova 1. I have to agree with Dan on this, I think you need a different pair of hands on this. Repairing a leaky carb isn't fixing the Space Shuttle.

·
Super Moderator
10,047 Posts
I would think a year would be long enough for him to fix any problems. I think it's time for a new wrench guy to look at that vintage Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Yesterday i asked the Honda mechanic in the dealership in Huntsville Alabama how much it cost to change my timing belts and he said he had never done any and if i knew someone else that could do it i should take it to them ! I could not believe the shop had nothing on their computer on the GL1500se about labor time or anything . I was told three times to take it somewhere else , so they don't get any of my business again !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.