Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been 'tinkering' with this bike for about 2 years. This year I have gotten serious about it get back to 'good running' status. Last year I basically fed high concentrations of gas cleaner thru (wasted effort, I know).
History: Pushed into garage 2007, last driven (license plate) guessing 1999, Gas was left in tank/carbs from 1999 until 2007.
Obviously, I siphoned out the bad gas. I have installed new CDI ignitors, rebuilt the carbs twice this year, new spark plugs, checked spark plug wires. The bike runs, progressively better especially after the carbs through cleaning/rebuild. Today I adjusted the pilot screws, still has same issue.

It barely idles & it sounds like a 'knocking' is occuring at low rpms. Above 1500 rpms, it smooths out, runs like a champ from 2000-35 rpms. Above 3500rpms, it sputters a little bit & sometimes backfires thru muffler.

I have little better than average combustible engine knowledge, but not a mechanic & working solely from a service manual.
I can't seem to figure out why I can't get the idle to run smoothly & the exhaust are very different in temperature.
Cylinders 2/4 seem to be a very cool exhaust temperature in comparison to 1/3. The spark plugs look good (all cyl), in terms of color, no carbon.
So what does that mean when there's a distinct difference in exhaust temps? I have used used up my knowledge on what can be wrong.
Thanks for any info

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
you have not gotten the pilot jet circuit clean yet. the pilot jets are not removable on this year wing so are very difficult to clean. with the carbs off the m/c an turned upside down, keep spraying carb cleaner in the idle circuit passageways. a small piece of copper wire strand pushed through the pilot jet will help. remove airscrews to help the quag go somewhere besides in deeper. good luck! 1983 carbs have removable pilot jets an will bolt right on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts