Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this seems like a great forum with good information. I have a chance to trade my 89 Honda Shadow 500 for a non running 79 Honda Goldwing. The bike looks good but it would not start. Its been sitting for a while as it has only 20,000 miles on it and the cables are sticky. The choke seems broken at the bracket and it leaks fuel when the pet cock is open. Are parts for these bikes expensive and even if I had to overhaul the fuel and ignition system what would I be looking at spending? Also is there a way to test this for more serious problems like bad headgasket/blown head?

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello rrainey, welcome to GWOF. a wing thats been sitting could possably cost more to get running than buying one that is already running

·
Registered
186 Posts
:cool:Welcome from Massachusetts .I agree with buzzard. could be easyer to look for a running bike. I had a 79 for years and it was in rough shape ,but Im a mechanic and know my way around an engine. so didn't cost me for labor,just my time and parts.that bike has points unless it was converted to electronic ing. If it turns over but dosent try to start, start there .Parts are available mostly on ebay at good prices,or from the forum . theres a lot of instructions and videos to help repair these bikes. If you have the know how (or want to learn), money and want to take the chance,go for it . See if you can get it going before you buy it.At least you know it Runs thats a start:) Were here if you need us.Good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ive found a few things like carb kits and cables online. Its a bit more complex bike than my shadow. But besides a carb rebuild and fluids change, what else could be wrong? I can check ignition easy I just want to know of any tests I can do to check for things like blown engine.

I rebuilt my Shadow from nothing and I built car engines so the know how is not a problem. Im fine doing just about anything except an engine rebuild, as that I do not have time for.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also dont forget that this is an even trade for my shadow that I put a little over $1000 into including the bike itself.

·
Registered
186 Posts
just like a car , take out plugs and replace them look for fouled or washed plugs .Pressure test coolant system,do a compression test,replace fuel filter,replace gas, and find out where the gas leak is . replace points and plugs, test battery and make sure you have spark.,.than give it another try. That will keep you busy for a while .

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Change the timing belts and a leak down test too.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
change all fluids, how are the brakes looking? change tires and replace all fuses

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I went to go see it today. How many miles are these bikes good for?

Does anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just like a car , take out plugs and replace them look for fouled or washed plugs .Pressure test coolant system,do a compression test,replace fuel filter,replace gas, and find out where the gas leak is . replace points and plugs, test battery and make sure you have spark.,.than give it another try. That will keep you busy for a while .
Hey Ted thanks for the advice. What is the acceptable range for compression on these. Im going to do a compresion test and if that checks out Im going to do the deal.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
200,000 - 300,000 miles or until you get the itch for something else

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts

Are there any lines running to it?
I'm thinking an oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
79 goldwing

I have a 78 Goldwing for sale that is ready to go. Everything has been done already. It's listed on the Pittsburgh Craigslist.

If they have been sitting for years they can be a money pit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
compresion test
It should be 160 psi or more and all cylinders should be within 5 psi of each other. (They are a decent motor if all are above 155psi, a really good engine if they are above 160psi, and excellent at 165. You will almost always note one cylinder, usually number three, that is 3-4 psi difference) Below 145 is on the low side. 142 is rebuild time and they are truly oil-guzzling dogs at that point.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What are those switches for ? funky wiring like that scares me ,you dont know what s going on till you get in to it. at the left of battery some one tried to do the , as we call it the 3 yellow wire connector fix , that's another story. Its in the link under electrical I sent you .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweet read! Thanks for that link. I was praying those switches were factory...I know about the stator wires my 86 Shadow has that same issue. Im going to do a compression check and check the cylinders for scoring/pitting/rust etc. if it passes these two I think Im going to be ok.(PRAYING) The guy seems honest and just wants to unload the bike as he bought it from two people who let it sit planing to restore it but never did. He just wants something cheap to ride to work and thought this bike was it. He's put on a new starter and new battery and then said he called it quits after that. I verified the battery and the starter does look new. I'll check it out today and let you guys know. You guys are awesome and veru knowledgeble. Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
does this wing come with a title

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Hi RainMan,

Good info being shared with you so far by our Forum friends. I'm not necessarily scared of older bikes, but agree that unless you're feeling lucky ("Well, do ya punk?" Dirty Harry) I'd like to at least know why it's not running before I bought it. And, time sitting is not the friend of rubber, gaskets, and rings. Anyway, if the deal is right, anything can work. I recently picked up a couple of older wings and the first one worked on, an '85 Aspencade is running really well after maybe 10 hours of work and $100. The '83 1100 seems simply to have a stuck needle valve/float (the old oil was about 50% gas) so it could be simple and it could be more than that. Best to know going into it what your exposure might be. There are plenty of bikes out there, including MadMike's. T

1 - 20 of 110 Posts