Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. My father in law recently gave me his old motorcycle. A 79 gl1000. It starts first try, shifts fine but sound like it is missing on one cylinder and the front calipers are not releasing completely. I took it to a local Honda authorized repair shop to inquire about repair costs. The shop manger laughed at me and said there was no way in hell they would touch the bike. He said get rid of it quickly and buy something newer and I would never find parts for it. Is it really that hard to work on these and obtain parts?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello njbeacher, welcome to GWOF. most dealers will not work on a bike that is 10 years old or older so you'll have to find an independant shop in your area. never mind your dealer i think that the 1000cc wings especially the '79 is a wonderful bike and i'm saving up to get one myself

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
The one shop I used to go to seemed like they wouldnt work on anything UNLESS it was at least 10 years old :D Im sure you can find someone to work on it and will get LOTS of help from the folks here. Welcome and ride safe

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
The Honda dealers response is not surprising, but there a other bike shops that would welcome the business. Lots of places (some have already been mentioned) to find parts. Keep it and fix her up and go riding. Enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 78 Goldwing and have no trouble getting parts.They are plentiful on ebay and the other sites mentioned.Also check to see if there are any motorcycle recyclers in your area.

You could start by changing the spark plugs. Advance auto parts sells NGK plugs for early wings at half the price of Honda.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Working on vintage motorcycles is a lot of fun. There's a 'Scrooge' in every crowd and don't let them get you down. Listen to the members here and we'll help you get your 'Prized' Wing up and running right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll post a picture later. Not at home right now. Once the dust came off, it was really shiny underneath. The seats were pristine and the saddle bags looked new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts