Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, here is a pic of the petcock on my 76. It appears to be backwards to what the manual says.

I Assume that the cover plate with the "Res, On and Off is 180 degrees out.

The main thing is that reserve is still up and "on" down. Would I be correct in that thinking?

V8

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
thats the first petcock i've seen with a " no " position -)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Use it as though the pointer was on the center part and not the end of the lever. I had the same problem on my 77. Lever end down was on, lever end up was reserve and pointing towards the rear of the bike was off. Make sure if you use reserve to switch it back. Go ahead and ask my why, lol

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm going to step into this pile where I have no business. To me, it appears that the point of view is from the driver looking down at the plate, not from a side view. Is it correct, and reads proper from a " cockpit " view ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
V8: According to heavychevy, the point, and not the tab is the indicator. Could this be ? That would be counter-intuitive.

Nah. What he's saying is to use the small end of the lever as the "pointer" because it is back to front. I have checked different manuals and mine is definately back to front.

The off position should be towards the front of the bike not back. It doesn't bother me. Cos I'm new to wings I thought I would make sure that down was on, and up was reserve, no matter what the name plate said.

I do have a petcock repair kit, I could change it, but it's not leaking (yet) so I'll save the kit until I really need it.

cheers
V8

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Nah. What he's saying is to use the small end of the lever as the "pointer" because it is back to front. I have checked different manuals and mine is definately back to front.

The off position should be towards the front of the bike not back. It doesn't bother me. Cos I'm new to wings I thought I would make sure that down was on, and up was reserve, no matter what the name plate said.

I do have a petcock repair kit, I could change it, but it's not leaking (yet) so I'll save the kit until I really need it.

cheers
V8
In other words: Don't mess with success. Sure was interesting in it's peculiarity. Is the throttle twist the same conventional direction ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks, I thought that was the case.

Ok, I'll take the bait, Why?

V8
I was on about tank #5 on my new 77. I had the long part of the lever pointing to the "ON" position. Just knowing I had reserve I pushed it a bit further than normal thinking. I still have over 1/2 gallon of gas to get to a station. The bike spit, and sputtered and I reached down and flipped the lever to reserve. I had to go ahead and pull off the road and walk to get gas. I learned then that the small end and not the lever end was where it should be. From then on the lever stayed down and if I had to use reserve I just reached down and turned the lever end up. Nobody had cell phones in 1977 so you had to hoof it or catch a ride to the station, gibe the guy a 50 dollar deposit on a 8 dollar gas can and hoof it back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was on about tank #5 on my new 77. Nobody had cell phones in 1977
Two things, Was the petcock around the wrong way new? I was only 6 in 1977 :p

I took my 76 "oldwing" for a 100mile ride yesterday to see how she went. I took some video footage of the ride.... The camera was mounted on the right Pannier, you could see the Goldwing emblem on the side of the bike, but the Camera missed the "G" hence "oldwing" I thought that was fitting.

V8

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 76 750-4 it is exactly 180 from yours. I have never had mine off but I bet it can be put on 180 out. If you look close you will see an arrow opposite the handle to indicate the position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts