Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bike out of the shop. To soon to tell but so far the fuel consumption seems to be better; still on the first tank. However, tonight the bike died on me a couple of times after I pulled up from riding. It's done it before as well. I don't know why a fuel injected bike would just die. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Hi Calcliff, the trouble is there is lots of things that could cause this problem, could be one of the switches ( stand, sensor ) ECM shutting down, try to notice what you do when it stops. Maybe run the bike and wiggle some wires and see if it goes out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have an '08 with about 61K miles that has always seemed to stall at times in a specific serino. When I have been riding hard and park and stop, and within a few seconds start again it seems I have to give it extra throttle to keep it from dying on me. Never really minded it that much. Otherwise bike runs great and gets good MPG.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
A little voice in my head is saying it's a sidestand or angle sensor switch being a bit finicky. Does the bike die instantly?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little voice in my head is saying it's a sidestand or angle sensor switch being a bit finicky. Does the bike die instantly?
It does die instantly. No sputtering. Last night it died after I returned home and was just sitting in the street contemplating going up the driveway. Other times it has died right after start-up.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Start the bike, don't touch anything, let it idle until the cooling fans come on, then shut it down. If there is anything else, I know one of the 1800 members will correct me.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
Start the bike, don't touch anything, let it idle until the cooling fans come on, then shut it down. If there is anything else, I know one of the 1800 members will correct me.
That's about it , Tank. Here is an expanded version from an unverified rider posted last year :
FYI. I was finally able to reset the ECM on my GL1800 after the local Honda Rep told me the secret. If you are having trouble resetting the ECM, disconnect both battery leads and then touch them together. This will clear the ECM and then do the reset process which is to start the bike and don't touch the throttle until the fan comes on.

This cured a problem with my idle that I have had for about 5 months and none of the local Honda shops knew about this process.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Thank you, kind sir.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have read that when you shut it down do so with the key. Also I have read that it is not necessary to wait till the fans kick on but just till the bike gets up to operating temp. I would like to see somebody who knows for sure chime in about this.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does die instantly. No sputtering. Last night it died after I returned home and was just sitting in the street contemplating going up the driveway. Other times it has died right after start-up.
When the bike dies I noticed that the FI light and the oil light came on. Normally, when you shut it down just the oil light comes on I think. Any significance? Is there a FI problem?

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
When the bike dies I noticed that the FI light and the oil light came on. Normally, when you shut it down just the oil light comes on I think. Any significance? Is there a FI problem?
If there is a " self- diagnosed " issue the FI light should blink a series of times. Mine comes on momentarily at normal start ups.

·
Banned
1 Posts
have a 1984 honda goldwing that staled today then the oil light came on and it won't start any ideas

I'll post on a seven year old thread that isn't related to my bike and expect responses and never return for help anyway.

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We have several members that are very familiar with the classic Wings. Please be patient as they will be along with suggestions soon.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Turn the kill switch back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.