Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I received the notice in the mail a few weeks ago and finally hit 4000 miles on the bike so I will be bringing it to the dealer soon for the brake check and 4000 mile service. Hope the brakes are ok. I will update on here after it's done.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Has everyone with a GL1800 had their bike in for the rear brake recall?
I received the notice in the mail a few weeks ago, finally took it in yesterday because they said if the front master cylinder was found defective they would have to keep the bike until it is repaired, about a week.
My 2001 passed the inspection but the service guy told me that he had a 2012 that did not, so make sure you get this done no matter what the year.
If your dealer checked the front master cylinder(it's on the right handle bar), he checked the wrong part:rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
From the way the dealer discribed it, he said the front master cylinder that is combined in the front caliper. Some part in the front caliper doesn't release completely so the rear brake drags. When I took it in I told him the rear felt spongy sometimes, like it needed to be bleed. He didn't say he bleed it but it felt better than when I took it in, maybe he had to bleed it to do the inspection.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
From the way the dealer discribed it, he said the front master cylinder that is combined in the front caliper. Some part in the front caliper doesn't release completely so the rear brake drags. When I took it in I told him the rear felt spongy sometimes, like it needed to be bleed. He didn't say he bleed it but it felt better than when I took it in, maybe he had to bleed it to do the inspection.
Your dealer is wrong!
It's the secondary master cylinder that's mounted on the left front fork. It actuates the rear brake as part of the linked brake system.
Due to tolerance stack up error,, involving the plunger, it can block a port causing the rear brake to drag. The pressure increases, over time, to a point it might cause rear brake lockup and/or a fire. The dealer should have the servive bulletin and the correct tools to test for this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if some secondary master cylender's are bad some are ok but could go bad down the road - and its a brake problem on a motorcycle why doesn't honda replace all rather than to test and replace some now some later?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got my recall notice in the mail 1/26/12. It came from Honda nopt the dealer. My bike is in storage now but if this spring like weather keeps up, I may call my dealer and set it up.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if some secondary master cylender's are bad some are ok but could go bad down the road - and its a brake problem on a motorcycle why doesn't honda replace all rather than to test and replace some now some later?
Honda's estimate of defective 2ndary master cylinders is 4%
4% of approx 126,000 bikes is 5K bikes. It seems not even that percentage is actually being found.
So, economics would tell you not to replace all!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wing Recall - Rear Brake

Received recall notice from Honda, ten days later took Wing to Honda shop in Port St. Lucie, FL. Dealer stated that he had inspected about 30 Wings for the recall problem and only one had to be repaired. My Wing was okay, out of shop in about 45 min total.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I guess Ms Honda didn't forget me after all. I got my recall notice today. At least they are sending them out. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Got my notice from Honda on Saturday (1-28-12) Have an appointment at my dealer for Wed @9:30. He doesn't expect to see a problem. I haven't noticed anything but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem....... Will post results tomorrow after they check it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
only 4% might catch fire lockup and launch the rider like superman? if the new improved replacement part was $100 I would agree just kill off a few riders and passengers ok but the part is only $36 thats a harder sell

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine went in today, a few other things as well, front tyre, K&N filter service etc my dealer ran out of time & she has to stay overnight :-( to make it worse they gave me a lone bike to get home! CB400........ I'm 6ft 4.... think my GW is punishing me for having to stay overnight! sob sob.....lmao....

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
she has to stay overnight :-( to make it worse they gave me a lone bike to get home! CB400........ I'm 6ft 4.... think my GW is punishing me for having to stay overnight! sob sob.....lmao....
I'll bet that feels different!:eek:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
only 4% might catch fire lockup and launch the rider like superman? if the new improved replacement part was $100 I would agree just kill off a few riders and passengers ok but the part is only $36 thats a harder sell
My DLP list shows the secondary master cylinder complete is available @ M/CYL ASSY., SECOND 45600-MCC-016 001 $90.64(retail) $68.79 (DLP price). Parts must now come from Japan! That would make it approximately $8,667,540, just for parts, which doesn't include the horrendous cost of shipping to dealers and labor to install.
Moot point on price difference. Surely not a hard sell in anybodies mind to only replace those that fail.
I still maintain, if one's rear brake drags enough for heat generated to start a fire and one can not detect that, one should not be riding!
Another moot point, as I understand what you're saying but, a rear brake locking up will not launch you like superman. It will cause, most likely, the rear to slide out from under you, dumping you on the road for at least a good dose of road rash or much worse.
There has been no official word as to whether this failure mode can manifest itself after years and miles of faultless service or if it's a bad one when the brake drag starts or how long/miles it takes to reach the danger point. Having said that, I would be riding only the miles it takes to get it to a dealer for the check and no further!
Ride safe
Dawg

·
Registered
18 Posts
St Peter says spend the money they don't want bikers showing up early or unexpectingly. now I am wondering if there is a new redesigned part with larger valve or just a swap with same part? do you see a diff part number? thanks ray

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
St Peter says spend the money they don't want bikers showing up early or expectingly. now I am wondering if there is a new redesigned part with larger valve or just a swap with same part? do you see a diff part number? thanks ray
Very good question!
Research of the DLP parts for the 1800 shows that part number changed w/the 2007 model year!
I have no idea what changed in the unit itself to cause a part number change. It could have as simple as a small cost savings change, to a supplier change, to ...........................

·
Registered
18 Posts
just spoke to honda usa customer support they tell me the new secondary master cylender has a larger breather hole and a redesigned gramet which fixes the potential problem, however, if the existing part tests ok it will be good for life - she says honda would replace the old part if it might test good now but go bad later. should my dealer have told me this? I would not have had the new part installed out of waranty if I knew my existing part was good and could not fail in the future. an auto mechanic friend just told me honda cannot guaranty that the old part could not fail in future?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took my 2006 Wing in on Wed 2/1/2012. The shop was very helpful, in at 1:00 pm and out by 1:30. Bike has 3200 miles and no problems were found.

·
Registered
45 Posts
GL1800 recall

I have a 2012 GL1800 with just under 10k miles. I took it into the local dealer about 2 weeks (Jan 20) ago to have them check the dragging rear brake. My bike failed and had to have the repair done. Then on Feb 1 2012 I got a notice from Honda stating that there was a recall because of the brake problem. Think that the dealer doing the work and submitting a bill woke them up, GO FIGURE:mad:

This video is what happens when the brake drags excessively.

Think Honda should send out some fire extinguishers NOW! :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda recall

:cool:Hey, There
From what I have read Honda USA was supposed to contact 126,000 members starting 1-19-2012. I received a phone call from my dealer around Feb 1rst. This week I received a Safety recall notice in the US Mail identifying my 08 by VIN#. Also in this notice is a form to fill out and submit if you have already paid to have yours done. But they will not reimburse work done after Feb 1rst, 2012.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts