Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big thing on the forum a month or so ago about the 1800 back brake recall. Has anybody gotten anything from Honda or your dealer about this? Anything at all? Just wondering.:)

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
Nothing here. My local riding bud took his down to Honda Manassas and was told by the Service Manger that when they get the equipment in from Mother Honda all 1800 customers will be notified.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My dealer has received the equipment for checking from Honda and has been checking bikes for 4 - 5 weeks. He had to check the used and new bikes on his floor before he could sell them. He checked my bike and quite a few others. So far, none have had a problem. He did receive a couple secondary master cylinders to use for replacement if a problem is encountered.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
My dealer told me about it after I read it here. I had it checked and I am Aok! :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The recall is on the secondary master cylinder which might not release the rear brake making it drag more and more over time. There have been a couple of fires reported from over heated rear brake components!!!!
I would think one should be able to feel that kind of drag long before a fire would start???
The notifications to owners would be going out as I type this message. I believe Jan 4th was the date given.
However, as already posted, dealers have been doing the inspections for some time now.
All 1800's are in the recall. That's approx. 126,000 units.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Back when this surfaced, I spoke with the tech group and they told me just exactly what most everyone has said here. 126,000 in the States to 'check' but very few will require repair. The numbers up here are substantially lower (more like 40,000 if memory serves). As far as I know no Cdn owners have recieved notice yet, and we haven't recieved our special check tool yet. Even with the stupid weather and lack of snow we have this winter, not too many owners will be anxious to move their bikes around here about now. I'm not attending the bike show this year, but I imagine there will be some talk on the subject going around in there next w/e. I have a conversation with my DSM coming up prior to the show so i'll ask if he's heard anything in the backrooms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a call from my dealer telling me of the recall and suggesting I bring the bike in. Keep in mind BEFORE you bring your bike in....this is a SAFETY recall and, as such, if you bring it in and the master cylinder is found to be defective you MUST leave your bike there...you cannot take it until it is repaired. Also, I would check with them before you go to make sure that they have the parts and I was told that Honda is not sending a whole bunch of replacement parts but only as needed. Seems kind of strange but there was another bike in at the same time as mind and his was found to be defective. They originally told him that they should have the parts in about 3 days but later came out and told him that some had mysteriously appeared the day before and they would be able to fix it then. I will say that they had him go to the back and show him that the rear wheel was virtually locked up and had to use both hands to somewhat spin it. He commented to me that may be why he was only getting 32 mpg!!! Mine was ok so all was good. Get 'em checked! Geaux Tigers!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got a postcard from my dealer 3 weeks ago about the recall. Brought the bike in last week, they checked it while I waited. My bike (2012 level 2) passed, away I went. Now if I can only make my Nav freeze up/reboot while I'm at the dealer................

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Took mine in this week to have it checked--no problem.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I got a call from my dealer telling me of the recall and suggesting I bring the bike in. Keep in mind BEFORE you bring your bike in....this is a SAFETY recall and, as such, if you bring it in and the master cylinder is found to be defective you MUST leave your bike there...you cannot take it until it is repaired. Also, I would check with them before you go to make sure that they have the parts and I was told that Honda is not sending a whole bunch of replacement parts but only as needed. Seems kind of strange but there was another bike in at the same time as mind and his was found to be defective. They originally told him that they should have the parts in about 3 days but later came out and told him that some had mysteriously appeared the day before and they would be able to fix it then. I will say that they had him go to the back and show him that the rear wheel was virtually locked up and had to use both hands to somewhat spin it. He commented to me that may be why he was only getting 32 mpg!!! Mine was ok so all was good. Get 'em checked! Geaux Tigers!
This wasn't the case with me. Last week I called the dealer where I purchased the bike. They told me if it was defective I could still leave with the bike even though they would heavily advise me not to. I guess the bottom line is I own the bike and do what I want to with it. I think they were going to ask me to sign something waiving them of liability if my bike was devective. That same day I called a closer dealer who had the "fix" parts already in stock and went there. Didn't matter mine passed anyway. They said mine made 48 checked and they had 2 they had to do the fix to. They gave me paperwork to take with me and I left. Took about 20 min.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just called the only 2 Honda Dealers within 80 miles and they told me that "Yes, the first thing was an inspection". I asked "well, what if it failed?" They told me they would have to order parts and I would have to leave the bike with them. I asked them how long that would take and they told me 5 to 7 work days. So, its a Crap Shoot down here. I guess I had better find a way to have somebody go with me cause if it fails, I have to get home. Hoofing it just ain't in my vocabulary any more. You would think that Honda would have sent a few fixes to each dealer to prevent loss of bike for 5 to 7 days should it fail the inspection. Or at least they should pay cab fare both ways for the inconvenience. :mad:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As of yet my dealer has not contacted me ,is this recall restricted to certain vin numbers ?
I was just told that "Yes, It is VIN specific but all are suspect".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last week I called the dealer where I purchased the bike. They told me if it was defective I could still leave with the bike even though they would heavily advise me not to
Man, if you took a failed bike and that caused a crash the new name of the dealership would be Red Ron Honda!! They would be stupid to let you leave with that bike!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Man, if you took a failed bike and that caused a crash the new name of the dealership would be Red Ron Honda!! They would be stupid to let you leave with that bike!
Maybe, but did you read the part where they said I would sign a waiver before they let me go?

Also in response to a couple of previous posts, you can call a dealer and find out if yours is part of the mix but I understand all 1800's in a certain year range are.

Also, if you live within range of several dealers, call around. You might find one that already has the parts in stock so you won't have to leave it if yours fails.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
1. There is no need to look up a VIN-ALL 1800's are recalled.
2. It has been beaten to death on another forum as to a dealer trying to keep your bike, if it fails the test. Why anyone would want to continue to ride a failed bike, I have no idea. However, it is your bike and no dealer anywhere can refuse to return the bike to you. They can not legally keep it. I for one would trailer mine back home as there is no way I'm leaving my bike set unprotected in some holding area(some are outside) for who knows how long waiting on parts.

·
Super Moderator
11,882 Posts
The recall is on the secondary master cylinder which might not release the rear brake making it drag more and more over time. There have been a couple of fires reported from over heated rear brake components!!!!
I would think one should be able to feel that kind of drag long before a fire would start???
If you didn't feel it, you would definitely smell it!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts