Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding buddy just upgraded to a very nice 03 1800 (which I found for him) We took turns riding it home, and what a differance in power over the 1500. At 6' 2" the 1500 still seems to fit me better and I had a strange experience riding this 1800. It does have a shorter windshield and at speeds above 55mph. I get a pronounced side to side flutter with my head. This was enough to slightly blur traffic in front of me, and caused a headeache. In putting a hand around the front, top, sides, and back of helmet, the only place any real wind found was just across the top, but even there it did not seem turbulant. I found if I crouched down slightly, the buzz went away. I assume I would have to have stock height or taller windshield and wonder if that would just transfer this problem to passenger? My buddy loves this bike over his 1500 due to handling, power, and how light it feels compared to the 1500, and he does not get any of the flutter that I do. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. I would love to upgrade myself if I knew I could get it set up comfortably for my size. (I am on my 4th seat on my 1500 to get it right for me, which is lowboy road sofa with gel pacs- seat ergonomics are perfect for sitting in instead of on the bike.) Will get pictures of current ride posted soon!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First question I have is was the windshield raised up to any of the higher positions available (had to ask)? There's a few inches of adjustability available with the ratchet mechanism. Also, I found the airvent a big help in reducing turbulence and expanding the still air envelope. Side buffeting has been a complaint of quite a few 1800 owners. I had little to none, but my wife (pillion) experienced lots in stiff headwinds or just about any crosswinds. Since I installed the Windbender, it is much better for her, and I have no wind issues at all.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There are many aftermarket shilds available.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an '03 and when I bought it, the PO had the Tulsa tall shield on it. I wasn't too keen on this looking through the windshield idea, so I found a stock shield and tried that. I know what you're talking about with the buffeting, and the headaches!! I'm 6' tall, and even with the stock shield raised all the way up, it helped a bit, but still was too much for me, and I put the Tulsa shield back on. I'm keeping the Tulsa shield on all year too, which gets a little hot in the summer, but I'd rather put up with that than the wind buffeting.
The stock shield is either too narrow, or is not designed right to direct the wind away from you.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
it seem to me that the stock windshield on an 1800 wing is not as tall or as wide as the stock windshield on a 1500 wing

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put Baker hand wings on and even though I'm only 5'11 I have no buffeting. They work really good in redirecting the wind.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Hand Wings ( minor help for the head buffeting ), Tulsa Tall Windshield, Windbender Windshield, National V-Stream Windshield....... Pick your favorite. Any are better than the stock 1800 windshield for over 6 ft. riders. Don't forget the F4 Customs Windshield. I don't want to look through my windshield all the time so my choice is between the Windbender and the V-Stream.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'M 5' 10'' and have baker wings on my 05 Wing they work great

I have them on the mirrors and the fairing and would not be

with them.Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
After I put the V Stream on it the head buffeting was gone but my wife still complained about wind getting up under her face shield. I added the Baker wings under the mirrors and that took care of that.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
After I put the V Stream on it the head buffeting was gone but my wife still complained about wind getting up under her face shield. I added the Baker wings under the mirrors and that took care of that.
That's Mz. Vickie's number one complaint: wind under the face shield. I have the mirror wings but it doesn't do it for her. Consequently, I can't do 75 +mph on the highway with her. Maybe the two in conjunction are needed as you have.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know what you mean, I'm 6'2" as well, if I move it all the way up the buffeting usually goes away. I also sit on a gel pad so that might make some difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts