Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me or do these bikes have an appetite for low beam bulbs?
I noticed today in traffic ( the reflection on the car in front of me) that one of my low beams is out, again. I just changed them this past fall.

Should I be looking for a particular bulb? I think i bought these last bulbs at Autozone, just a standard H7 bulb.

I should have kept a spare in the bike! I guess I will run out a lunchtime to find a new bulb.

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
I've heard a few members talking about bulbs, but I think mostly on 1500s; but some 1800s. I've had no issues with mine or any of our customers' bikes.

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
I just installed the Silver Star H7. I heard they don't have the life of the stock bulbs. My stock bulbs were three years old and still glowing when I changed them out. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Mine is 3 years old and no problem with bulbs as of today.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I sometimes wonder if the bike's antidive might be sticking when I read posts about blowing bulbs so quickly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Red Ron, What in the WORLD would the anti-dive have to do with lights?
Many antidives do not function as they were designed. This happens espically when brake lines are not flushed in a timely matter. Some antidives stick prematurely for no reason. When it sticks it makes for a much harsher ride in the front end. All of this extra jarring would naturally create undue stress on the filaments in the bulbs. There are hundreds, and dare say thousands who have disabled the antidive with a hole in nickel or special shim sold by after market companies or other means.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Interesting because they are the same bulbs autos have and autos do not have anti-dive systems yet they have no problem with bulbs. Also in the 01 and up wings the lights have anti vibration mounts IE rubber. I personally would NEVER alter my anti-dive as it was built on the bike and therefore has a reason to be there.

·
Super Moderator
7,640 Posts
Amp draw?
Check the sockets for corrosion and clean them, apply a light coat of bulb grease to the blades.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Interesting because they are the same bulbs autos have and autos do not have anti-dive systems yet they have no problem with bulbs. Also in the 01 and up wings the lights have anti vibration mounts IE rubber. I personally would NEVER alter my anti-dive as it was built on the bike and therefore has a reason to be there.
Glad to hear yours is functioning properly. But, if yours was like mine and countless others I dare you would alter it; unless you like the feeling of a jackhammer when riding over the smallest abnormalities in the road. Using the nickel trick you can go back to the "jackhammer" if you miss it. Here is one of countless threads on the topic with some pro and con: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?303438-Disable-the-antidive&highlight=disable+antidive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts