Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to wire fog lights so they will be switched on for both high and low beam. Then turn all off with the push button if desired. Has anyone done this, if so, what wires have to be connected?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
There must be a simple way to modify the plug and play connector to delete the high beam cut out portion. If I can scan the wiring diagram page from my service manual into my computer I could post it and perhaps one of our electronic geeks could figure it out using the existing plug. I'll work on that angle.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chopin, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Don't just modify the wiring there would be too much amperage going through the switch if the fog lights were activated in conjuction with the high beams. This plug and play device will take care of that for you

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/13333

This might be what you want

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Just a question. Is there any legal issue with running fog lights and high beams at the same time? I know that sounds stupid, but even on my car when I turn on the high beams the fog lights go out. I think some states have a limit on the number of lights that can be on at one time.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Just a question. Is there any legal issue with running fog lights and high beams at the same time? I know that sounds stupid, but even on my car when I turn on the high beams the fog lights go out. I think some states have a limit on the number of lights that can be on at one time.
My car does the same as yours. I guess you would have to check with your local law enforcement, but it might be just as on the wing, that might draw too much amps for the system.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Don't know about down there, but up here the law/reason is high beams are meant to project a maximum length and width of beam as well as the amount of available lumins output. Adding more lights exceeds those limits with high beams. Low beams have reduced outputs for that reason, and that's also why fog lamps and driving lamps have a wider, shorter effective beam distance and intensity because they are only to be coupled to low beams. Back in the day we used to circumvent that by having our fog lights and such hooked up without the low beam/high beam relay cutout installed. Worked like a charm until you got checked out by the Queen's Cowboys.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Don't just modify the wiring there would be too much amperage going through the switch if the fog lights were activated in conjuction with the high beams. This plug and play device will take care of that for you

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/13333

This might be what you want
This could save our rider a lot of voodoo wiring. As far as a Goldwings' go, screw the law that pertains to motor vehicles, i.e., four wheelers. Vehicles have two headlights, Goldwings have visually one to oncoming traffic. Call them running lights, not fog lights

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well said on that Chopin, and the dolts don't normally see that either!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Chopin for the insight. Also, thanks to Joe for the link. I ordered the plug and play to correct my problem.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you either of the brands that it states it will work on , i.e., Hondaline or Big Bike Parts ?
This doesn't make sense. What did you mean?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
This doesn't make sense. What did you mean?
I read the link joe sent and the description for the harness states :............. This will work on all Goldwing 1800's from 2001-2010 that HAVE EITHER OF THOSE TWO BRAND OF FOG LIGHT KITS INSTALLED. Comes with complete instructions.......... I could me nothing and you probably have the Hondaline light kit anyway. I'm just reading the product description. I'm sure you'll be fine. " Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain ! ";)

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I have what I believe to be Show Chrome fog lights on my 08 and they came with the harness that is shown in the cycclemaxohio link. This kit has a relay and a wired plug. If you use the relay the fogs will operate with the high beams on. If you use the plug the fogs will only work on low beams. Possibly made for other countries that don't have highbeam/fog light laws. If I can do anything to help me see and be seen I'll do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts