Honda Goldwing Forum banner
221 - 240 of 283 Posts

· Registered
08 Honda goldwing, 09 Kawasaki zx14, two Ducati Monsters S4RS’s
28 Posts
Thanks I’m finding more stuff to read. Funny, I asked the guy I bought the rim from how he ended up with the extra rim, he told me he was going to go dark side but never did

· Registered
2,209 Posts
I read and thought and pondered for almost a year before I said to myself..... let's try it

from my experience...... I wish I would not have changed both front and rear at the same time..... just changing a set of tires makes a big difference......So, in my opinion..... don't change the front tire at the same time you go to a CT,
It does take a little getting used to, not much different than going to new tires.....
But now...... I will only ride with a CT on the rear........ starting to look at what I want to try next, for mine is no longer available...... I have a couple of choices that I am looking at

you do get way more grip in acceleration and braking and better behavior on wet roads

Reactions: Rudy2

· Registered
85 Posts
There are any number of good tires to choose from, for my money the Pirelli P1 run flat is at the top of the list. It has an asymmetrical tread which looks odd, but handles very well, and the run flat feature is a must have. If you do long tour style rides, you'll see where they really shine. Good luck and ride safe.

· Registered
28 Posts
Ok, I pretty much had my mind made up before, the only real question for me was the size 195 vs. 205
i just bought the pirelli 195/55/16 p1 run flat. Think I’ll get the spare rim powder coated and get it mounted.
Already talked to local bike tire guy here and he said no problem he has done several so I’m getting excited to give it a try.

· Premium Member
7,254 Posts
any thoughts on advantages on sizes 195/60/16 vs. 205/60/16?
The only thing I can think of is the 205 helps with the speedo correction on older models...that’s it. And mind you I had it on my ‘08 and it was a bear to put on. Rubbed on occasion as well.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
205 wont fit, lots of rubbing.....60s start to get to tall.... same issue

· Registered
2,209 Posts
on my 2nd gen.... I have to take the hanger bolt out of the left side exhaust it will move just enough to get the 195/55 in the hole
after that it fits fine.............. some don't have the exhaust issues,,,,, just have to put the tire/rim in the hole with the air out

· Registered
28 Posts
Tire showed up today “ Tire Rack“ is great, 2 day shipping. Wheel is being powder coated, should be done about Friday, want to put a few more miles on the Motorcycle tire to really get a feel for the bike since this is my first wing,
only have about 150 miles on it since I bought it because weather has been so bad. I’ll have it mounted up and ready for the swap soon.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
28 Posts
No not at all, I’m excited to try it but I am first and foremost a sport bike guy, love doing track days etc.
im pretty skeptical about the cornering ability of these tires but then again with this bike I’m not looking to go carving corners and dragging my knée. I’m going to spend more time on the MC tires then try the CT. With the extra rim if I don’t like it I can just swap it back and sell the CT and not miss a beat. Hope it takes a little of the harshness away and one thing I really notice is a little instability when coming to complete stops, its in the last couple mph probably just need more seat time but the big flat CT I think will help.will see.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
I think you will be impressed with the wings abilities with or with out the CT
Not long after I had gotten used to the wing with the CT, I was taking some back roads home from work just to start to see what it would do with the CT on it
I was in a long sweeping left hander, suggested speed was 50mph, I was running 70, when in the shadows I spot a 2x6 laying at an angle across the road,,,,,,
it never bobbled or lost its line

· Registered
15 Posts
I just put a P1 on my 08. It is my second CT and I think my second Mt on this wing. I took a Stone off with 7K on it and it was SLICK. THE Picture is of the Yokohama Avid that was my last CT with only 12K on it. I ride two up usually once a week and to work 80% of the time on my wing. It is curves in and curves out and I do not go slow. I have not had a problem with grip and it is still early but I really like the feal of the P1. I doubt I will go back to a MT again.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

· Registered
28 Posts
Ha, looks like a nas car tire, go fast turn left.... let me know how you like the p-1 , I will probably have mine mounted up end of this week or early next week I’m going to try and hold off putting it on until I get a few more miles on the bike tire, but I’m kinda like a 65 year old kid at Christmas. I’m excited to try it, but im really liking the quick easy tip in and how little effort it takes to change direction with the mc tire for a bike this big.

· Premium Member
24,883 Posts
I was a Darksider for five years when I rented a Goldwing out in Arizona. I pulled out of the rental lot and I thought it had a flat tire . The slightest body motion caused the Wing to move. A very unsettling feeling until I realized what was going on.

· Registered
85 Posts
Rudy, when you get that P1 mounted, just a suggestion, mount it with the "Outside" to the left (kickstand side). These are "Inside/Outside" tires normally used on performance cars. They're not the exact same size from side to side, normally the "Outside" side is mm's smaller which offsets road crown to a minor degree. As to cornering, there's a rider on another board that drags pegs on the Tail of the Dragon and twisties of Arkansas like a bad habit, and these are one of the tires he uses. Good luck and ride safe.

· Registered
28 Posts
Ok thank you

Had a problem with my new powder coater, he said about a week turn around, I stopped by after 2 weeks it was still sitting right where I left it, so I took it to the guys I always used before and got my wheel back in a week. Now just get tire mounted maybe tomorrow. Wheel came out nice metallic silver.:)
Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap Tire

· Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,885 Posts
New CT went on my wing yesterday! Its my second on this bike. A nail pierced the Yokohama tire. The new one is from Les Schwab. Made by DeanTires called Road control.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

221 - 240 of 283 Posts