Honda Goldwing Forum banner

221 - 235 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
You will note that this thread is 6 years and 3 days old. A lot of information has been posted here and I think a lot of people have switched and knowledge passed on in that time. I will admit that putting the tire on the rim is akin to streaching a gnats ass over a 55 gallon drum. But some find it easy and I along with others find it a bi**h. I just use lots of tire mounting soap. I am happy with my decision to go DS and I'm still here. Later......Isaac

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Hmmm I find it fits so well I don't even use tire irons just push the tire right on using mild amount of soap.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
run flat may be a B
the non run flat to me went on the rim easier than the MC tires do

Reactions: Flyrider and ETC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mister Ed, Yes, the car tires of the correct size will fit on the OEM rear wheel. Initially installing them on the bike, it's a bit tight, but nothing that can't be overcome with a plastic bag. There's a member on another board, maybe here as well, Monk, who regularly runs the Tail of the Dragon. If you ever watch him ride, you'll never question the handling ability of a car tire again. They work just fine. I run a Pirelli P1 run flat, 195/55-16. At present, my tire has over 14,000 miles on it and still has 4/32" of tread left. This is its 3rd season, and may be adequate to get me through the end of the season, but if not, Tire Rack can have me another here in a couple days for $130. The real advantage is the run flat feature. If you're taking long, long trips, you'll thank yourself many times over for the increased mileage and not being stranded with a flat. 50 miles at 50 MPH beats setting along side the road. If you're riding two up or towing a trailer, the extra weight capacity of these will make a world of difference as well. Good luck and ride safe.
Thanks, SFC from a former SSG who retired CW3! I’m really considering the change; it sucks planning a tire change on a fun cross-country trip. Do you have the tire mounted at a car tire shop or motorcycle shop?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I do them in my workshop, wrestle them on the ground......... I have always changed my own motorcycle tires.
have changed car tires on cars that way too before.
some have found tire shops will do it....if you take in the rim and not the whole bike
suggest telling them, if they ask, it is from a custom trailer

some get weird about it some don't care..... a tire is a tire and a rim is a rim

they won't be able to balance it....... some of us use ceramic beads others cyntrematic ballancers

Reactions: Flyrider

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks, SFC from a former SSG who retired CW3! I’m really considering the change; it sucks planning a tire change on a fun cross-country trip. Do you have the tire mounted at a car tire shop or motorcycle shop?
Some bike shops will, but you'll have to inquire with them first. The easiest way is to take your wheel to a auto tire place and tell them you need the new tire mounted for your custom trailer. If you go with the Pirelli P1, they're an inside/outside tire. You want to mount the outside to the kickstand side, or the side of the wheel the lug nuts would mount on. If you go with a regular run flat tire, tell the shop the wheel is for the left side of the trailer, so the rotation is correct. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up.
Thanks for your service, Chief.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am getting ready to purchase another CT, this will be my third. I have run Michelin Primacy Alpin and have really enjoyed everything about them, however they are discontinued now. Looking for a replacement but I really prefer the Michelin make, anyone know what model will work to replace the Primacy Alpin? Thanks to all who post here!

·
Premium Member
6,328 Posts
I run the Yokohama as well, great tire!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I have been running the AVID ENvigor as a non-runflat............. but can't find that one any more

still at least a year, maybe two before it needs replacing though, it is about time for my yearly update on the CT, I think this the third year on it

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am thinking this might be my next CT to use

Got this off of a picture that ETC posted of one of his customs

I like the symmetric directional tread with the big center rib

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
When I was cleaning the nasty bike today.... I took time to look in my owners manual to see the date that the CT was put on the rear
so..... my Yokohama Avid ENVigo was put on the rear in Oct 2016
so as of today, Oct 2020 the tire has 21500 miles on it with an average tread depth of 6/32, new it had 10/32
and this is what it still looks like

yoko-oct-2020.jpg

yeah, I know the picture is not that great............ sun shining in the front of the carport....... that is my story and I'm sticking to it

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
21 Posts
That Achilles looks interesting with its edge tread. Been real happy with the Yoko. Much more plush ride than the Kumho.

221 - 235 of 235 Posts