Honda Goldwing Forum banner

201 - 220 of 235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Hankook Optimo

2003 'wing
I'm going to try something different. I have been running a Yokohama Envigor RF, I am going to try a Hankook Optimo H426 (195 55r16) RF. I like the profile, nice rounded shoulders and thought I would give one a spin.

Only have about 400 miles on this tire and really like the feel so far. Running 33 psi at this point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
What is the micrometer reading ?
Measured tread depth Hankook Optimo H426

0.275" depth outer grooves, 0.303" depth center grooves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
1. 2008
2. Yokohama Adv ENVigor ZPS 3219487 V [195/55-16]
3. Zero Pressure System runflat
4. ~ 7,300
5. 9
6. Not changing.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
1. 2001
2. Federal 195x60x16 and 2 Achilles 175x60x15
3. Non RF only
4. Approx. 53,000
5. 11
6. Yes have no choice

1. 2003
2. Federal 195x60x16 and 2 Achilles 175x60x15
3. Non RF only
4. Approx. 3,000
5. 11
6. Yes have no choice

1. 1999 Valk
2. Kumho 195x60x16 and 2 Conti 165x60x15
3. Non RF only
4. Approx. 21,000
5. 11
6. Yes have no choice

I have more but this ought to do the trick :)

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Reactions: Luv2fish and Chopin

·
Registered
6 Posts
2003 Blue 1800

Have this tire on my 2012 Kawasaki Voyager, and I'm putting one on the new-to-me Wing:

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max
175/60HR16

10+
Non RF
500 mi
yes, again and again.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Look in the owners manual to be sure....... but if my memory serves me well.... it is -10%, and that is pretty much when mine comes on

so rear comes on at about 36-37psi......

If I have mine at 38......it is off...but on a much cooler morning it will come on....but after the tire starts to warm.... it goes off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's my contribution, 2003 1800, 82,131 miles on the bike, 13, 500 miles on the tire, Pirelli P1 RF with the pressure set at 35PSI, and I don't plan on leaving the dark side. I really like the Pirelli P1. The rounded shoulders and stiffer sidewalls give it the feel and handling of a MC tire. I've ridden this through the twisties in torrential rain and on hot Summer pavement, with a Stone 709 on the front, and I've never been concerned about loosing traction. I should get another season out of this tire, making three seasons on one tire, and another P1 will go on.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's my contribution, 2003 1800, 82,131 miles on the bike, 13, 500 miles on the tire, Pirelli P1 RF with the pressure set at 35PSI, and I don't plan on leaving the dark side. I really like the Pirelli P1. The rounded shoulders and stiffer sidewalls give it the feel and handling of a MC tire. I've ridden this through the twisties in torrential rain and on hot Summer pavement, with a Stone 709 on the front, and I've never been concerned about loosing traction. I should get another season out of this tire, making three seasons on one tire, and another P1 will go on.
There are different Pirelli P1s. Which do you run?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Double Dark Side update

Front tire - BT45 Battlax
mileage = 5000
tread =center groove now 8/32 new 9/32
running bike recommended psi

Rear tire - Yokahama AVID ENVigor
mileage = 19000
tread= now outside grooves 7/32
center most grooves 5.5/32
new 10/32
have been running 38-40 psi
but because of heavier center wear.... dropping to 35 psi....see if it wears more even (but know it will be harder to determine)

at any rate..... have used about half the usable tread.... so should be good for about 38000 miles total
Will most definitely do this again

the 38000 is about the same mileage I got out of the ENVigor on my wife's Camry

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve seen only one Goldwing running a car tire but probably I just haven’t paid attention. I’m getting ready for my 3rd cross country trip on my 2015 and I could eat better food if I didn’t have to buy rear tires! A few questions, is a car tire compatible with the OEM rear wheel? I’ve read where it can be a challenge to install back on the bike. I live right off the Tail of the Dragon and a bit worried about cornering....is it a big issue. Thank you for your help. Ed

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
This comes up a lot and the people who have never tried will say no however I put car tires on all the motorcycles I work on and the rim is 100% compatible. Now that being said a CT does handle differently on a 2 wheeler especially if it's over inflated which is done in 99% of the cases. Personally I never install a run flat and never will as they are just too stiff and really impair the operation of the motorcycle. Now I am also talking trikes here but all my two wheelers also have CT's installed. As far as mileage you can figure 45-50k if done right or 18k if done wrong most people are getting 18k or less. And there are all kinds of opinions and ideas but in general handling will be odd and something to get used to, maintenance costs will be less or a lot less and grip and traction etc is just a guess and nobody really knows as it has never been actually tested just assumed. And no I have yet to hear of anyone being injured or killed due to using a CT. All this being said it's you skin and your choice. I would just be cautious regarding all the info on message boards related to "darksiding" as most is misinformation and just plain guesswork. Just trying to be truthful here not condescending.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
as ETC said......... it does take a little to get used to. When I first switched.... I thought I had made a real mistake....
but now...... I will always keep a CT on the rear of my wing...........I read and read and read..... and pondered and pondered and pondered before I decided to go for it.

I suggest you read and read and ultimately make the choice for yourself. I have a few updates from my experiences.
I probably would not put one on and the first thing to do is a 1500+mile ride
I would suggest not to put one one unless you can take several little short rides with all types of roads to get the feel for it

Reactions: ETC

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mister Ed, Yes, the car tires of the correct size will fit on the OEM rear wheel. Initially installing them on the bike, it's a bit tight, but nothing that can't be overcome with a plastic bag. There's a member on another board, maybe here as well, Monk, who regularly runs the Tail of the Dragon. If you ever watch him ride, you'll never question the handling ability of a car tire again. They work just fine. I run a Pirelli P1 run flat, 195/55-16. At present, my tire has over 14,000 miles on it and still has 4/32" of tread left. This is its 3rd season, and may be adequate to get me through the end of the season, but if not, Tire Rack can have me another here in a couple days for $130. The real advantage is the run flat feature. If you're taking long, long trips, you'll thank yourself many times over for the increased mileage and not being stranded with a flat. 50 miles at 50 MPH beats setting along side the road. If you're riding two up or towing a trailer, the extra weight capacity of these will make a world of difference as well. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
The trick to easy install is to not seat or inflate the tire until the wheel is installed. Once lugs are tight then inflate and all is well.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I had to drop the left side exhaust from the rear hanger to get enough clearance

201 - 220 of 235 Posts