Honda Goldwing Forum banner

181 - 200 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Your third picture is a perfect example of how a wore out M/C tire is just like a new CT, except that a new CT has more tread and still a bigger contact patch.

Reactions: DonP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your third picture is a perfect example of how a wore out M/C tire is just like a new CT, except that a new CT has more tread and still a bigger contact patch.

I was thinking the same thing. Lot more rubber on the ground and yet the transitions leaning are not as pronounced as a GYTT I had on my 07 ST1300.
And already got a response on the Goldwing road riders F/B page about not being able to corner now... :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My Darkside update:

Replaced the front Bridgestone Excedra with a Battlax the front had 14000 miles on it and down to the wear bars

So I measured the tread on the CT rear tire put on at the same time as the front... so it too has 14000 miles on it now.
New it had 10/32 tread....... now as you go across the tire side to side, there are 4 main groves and they now measure 8/32, 7/32, 7/32, 8/32..... I have been running it at 39-41 psi, seems to be its favorite pressure. so at this rate it should be good for a total of 45-60k miles I do believe.

I will stay with a CT on the rear.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I have 34,000 on my battlax
with plenty of tread to go. Should get at least 40,000. Very very happy with this tire.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I plan on going doubledark with the next tire change which may be before the M&G this coming May. I spent a lot of money on E4s about 5000 miles ago and I'm already seeing a flat spot on the rear . I ran a CT on my shadow and loved it. Couple questions though. Will an 1800 wheel fit on a standard machine at the tire place and could the tire buster guy be fooled into thinking its a car/trailer wheel? Also what do you guys do about the TPMS if running less than required air pressure?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I've had all my car tires mounted at a tire shop. A rim is a rim. They can't balance it because there is no hub hole, but I use Dyna-Beads anyway. Fellows with TPMS usually run at 40psi to satisfy the system. I like 38 - 40 psi. myself.
As for my upcoming front Battlax, I'll have the local Honda Motorcycle shop mount that and I'll buy it from them.
Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've had all my car tires mounted at a tire shop. A rim is a rim. They can't balance it because there is no hub hole, but I use Dyna-Beads anyway. Fellows with TPMS usually run at 40psi to satisfy the system. I like 38 - 40 psi. myself.
As for my upcoming front Battlax, I'll have the local Honda Motorcycle shop mount that and I'll buy it from them.
I've been using beads as well. In my opinion it's the only way to go. Thanks for info! Are you going to run the battle ax in reverse rotation? Some say it works better.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Depends on the tire...... you will have to see what pressure you and your bike like the best
Some are running as low as 26 and others the bikes 41
The tire I am running likes 38... cool mornings the tire pressure light blinks for about 5-8 miles at highway speeds.

On really cool days or around 40F.... I am getting some sort of radio interference..... because I get an TMPS error at the same places in the trip..... so I pretty much ignore the tire pressure system.... and just go old school..... check the pressure with a gauge at least once a week.

My daughters new Honda Civic has the same style of rim, as far as the shape next to tire bead, so if they can change that they can do the rear of an 1800...... pull the rotors and they could do the front.

Reactions: JKWinger

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
When I put my battlax on at my local Honda dealership, I asked the tire guy the same question about putting it on in reverse. He said that was the stupidest thing he had ever heard. Tires are made to roll forward to shed water. Putting it on in reverse defeats that purpose.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
I'll let you know Eddie in the spring when I get my new Battlax mounted anti-cw

;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Roger that, Chopin. That’s the way it should be put on. As to you fossil, I really don’t know how to respond to that? LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
So researching now cause it will bappen in short order after getting the bike home. For those running 205/55/16 how does it fit? Is it difficult getting it on the bike or does it slip right in, and is there any issue with traile hitch clerance?

I am looking at getting the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S - SIZE: 205/55ZR16, I like the looks and have always loved BFG's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A%2FS&partnum=055WR6GFC2AS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I've had mine in and out a few times with no problems. We run the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW. I will say the only time I ever had any problems with taking it off or on was when we had the Voyager trike kit on it. Sure was hard to lay the bike on its side with that thing on. :surprise: Nice thing about running a car tire is it can be patched safely where I wouldn't necessarily trust a bike tire to be patched, but that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
agree for sure, I was asking specifically for that size though, it is a little wider than the 195 and taller but not by a whole lot.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I had to install mine with no air in it. It was a tight fit until it slipped on the lugs. Now I only had it up on the center stand but I had move the amp and bracket out of the way too.

Good guys ride black bikes!
IDMWT# 98

Reactions: ETC

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Mark, in Richmond , ran a 205 on his former 2008 ????? Wing with a trailor hitch. 2006 and above had an audio amp that protruded in the rear wheel well. It all worked for him for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. 2004 Candy Red
2. Kumho Touring Solus 195/16
3. Run Flat
4. 7,000 at install
5. Rate it a strong 9
6. Definitely stay Dark side

181 - 200 of 235 Posts