Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,
I've been fighting clutch releasee problems for the last week.
I had a leak in the slave unit, so I replaced the seal, and while I was at it installed a master rebuild kit.
I bled the system, and when I was done, the clutch worked great at first. The problem is after riding for thirty minutes and exercising the clutch, The release point kept moving out until the clutch would slip.
I've pulled the master apart twice, and it appears to be fine according to the manual, and I've bled the system several times with the same results. It's acting like the slave is not coming all the away back to the rest position.
Anyone have any ideas.
Everything worked fine before I rebuilt everything except for the leak.
Appreciate any help.

Doesn't matter, I'll never be back to inform you what I found!!!

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF Bob.

Not an 1800 guy, I'm sure one will be along shortly. If all was well before I'm betting that although you have bled, you're not getting out all the air.

A mighty-vac works great or you can try using an "old racer" trick.

Instead of pumping & closing the bleeder, then opening again etc etc etc.

Get your self a pint bottle, put enough fluid in it to cover your bleeder hose, open the bleeder, work the handle keeping the hose under the fluid. Not only will you be able to bleed but you can actually see the air coming out. The one precaution is it is very easy to forget to keep the fluid level up in the resevoir so just be sure you do or else you suck in more air.

As always this is one Ole Fossil's opinion & again Welcome from Pa.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
This is a new one for me. I hope somebody can come up with a fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I am using the mighty mite, but still no joy. The one thing I question in my mind, is the seal in the slave. It's tapered, and I but the hi side toward the pressure side. I believe that's how the old one was, but after all this I keep questioning myself. Hoping someone can verify that!!
Thanks
Bob L

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome Bob. I have to do some digging for another member so I'll see what I can find for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all,
Good to be here. Haven't had to rely on this over the years. This is my third wing, and the first time in over 250K miles i've run into any kind of major problem.
BTW, most of those miles have been on the island of Oahu!!
This ones got me stumped. Thinking of ordering an entire slave unit. Kinda last resort.Have agood day.

BobL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch issue

It sounds to me like the clutch master is not releasing the pressure when you release the lever. Ideally, I would do a complete master cylinder rebuild at this point, but you could attempt an in place fix.
There is a VERY tiny hole located in the base of the reservoir area that relieves the pressure in the system when you let up on the lever. This hole is so small that it easily gets restricted or totally plugged when the fluid is not replaced on a regular basis (every two years on average or sooner depending on fluid used and operating conditions).
So pull the reservoir cover, carefully remove the fluid. If you notice any sludge in the bottom, it means that the fluid isn't being changed often enough. Once you get the reservoir totally cleaned out (use a clean cloth and a tiny screwdriver to get into all the corners and cavities). You should see a small stainless sheetmetal piece in the bottom that is directly over the hole that I referred to. Use i pair of neddle-nose pliers to remove it (don't loose it). I use a clean shop rag with solvent on it and my small screwdriver to do a through cleaning of the reservoir. I then use a very small carb. jet cleaning tool to gently clear the hole. Once the hole is cleared, put the small stainless cover back in place add fluid to the top of the site glass, and gently activate the lever several time, stop, and look for air bubbles to escape through that tiny hole under the ss cover. Keep pumping the lever several time then stopping until you no longer see air bubbles after you let up. This means that you have most of the air out of the system. Put the reservoir cover back in place, wipe up, and you should be back in business.
Please understand, if there is any amount of sludge in the bottom of the reservoir, there's also sludge in the piston area of the master, so the master needs to be completely dis-assembled and cleaned. You stated that you've already rebuilt the slave, so it sounds like you have the ability. Now rebuild the master, and you should have a properly working system. These systems are not that complex if you understand how they work... But clean/fresh fluid is critical. I hope this helped, but without seeing the bike, I'm just speaking from experience. This is one area of maintenance that I see overlooked more than almost anything else. and if it happens to be on the brake system, which works on the same principle, it can be very dangerous! Good Luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Morning,
The release point kept moving out until the clutch would slip.

BobL
Having too much fluid in it could cause this. It would heat up when riding and expand. If there is too much it could build pressure releasing the clutch.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the help. I'm out of town for a few days but will try again when I'm home.

I'll never be back to inform you what I found!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.