Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at an 1800 for sale. It has 19,000 miles on it. Original buyer. He is older and can't ride anymore.

The AM/FM radio is inop. He was told that it needed "the chip" replaced. Any ideas of what that is and it's cost? That is a big factor for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Larry, have no idea on the cost for a "chip", but that bike sure looks great. Why don't you give the local Honda dealer a call and see if he has any idea what might be wrong and the cost for replacement or fix.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry, have no idea on the cost for a "chip", but that bike sure looks great. Why don't you give the local Honda dealer a call and see if he has any idea what might be wrong and the cost for replacement or fix.
I just thought that someone on the forum would have had this problem and had it fixed.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think that seat is stock either. The son of the owner is selling it and he is not sure what of the details of the bike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does the clock and radio display work? On the 1800 if the display don't work, neither does the radio. Then you are looking at the display replacement instead of a chip. Probably no help, but good luck

·
Super Moderator
7,607 Posts
It's a nice looking Wing.
You may even be able to get a radio from a salvage bike at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Larry I thought I was going to be part of the crowd. Ron, Larry and me all on 1500's. LOL Hope it goes well for you Larry. I bet you can't wear that one out. ( probally couldn't wear the 1500 either.) Eric

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jumping ship Larry? You'll never got to wear out your back tire if you do that. Selling the 1500? BTW, nice looking bike.
I am considering it. I bought the 1500 to see if the Goldwing and I get along. To see if moto camping was for me. I have been using the Wing now for 18 months and I really feel like it is a recreational outlet that I would like to explore further. My 94 is 17 years old. I am not used to driving / riding something that old.

We will see. The bike is in great shape.... original owner. low mileage. Not sure if the recalls have been done and the radio is not working. It is on the other side of the state as well.... and it will be raining every day for the next week. Damn it.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
From the picture it looks like there are a number of upgrades: floorboards, replacement seat (not sure which brand), backrest, spoiler, luggage rack, kuryakin grips, chrome trim on the front wheel & mirror covers, and what appears to be an aftermarket windshield as well. That sure is low mileage--what year?

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Larry. I see a CB antenna...does it work? Do any of the other functions on that panel work. ie: i-com, navi voice, WB (weather band)...any of those work. The whole shebang is the Audio Unit. Everything in the world goes though that Unit, even the speedometer pulses. Does the speedo work ok. I guess the point is there are a ton of things that could be wrong. From the switches on the left handle bar, to the power amp under the rear of the seat, to the unit itself. As far as I can tell, there is no single "chip" that would correct this. It is a Unit with tons of inputs and outputs and the manual does not show it broken down to that level. I have no earthly idea what the Audio unit would cost to replace but due to the complexity of it and what it does, it may be pretty high. In order to diagnose the problem correctly, you need to know exactly what works and dosen't work on that panel. In other words, the schematics show that you select AM/FM and internal to the Unit, the radio is activated and outputs to headsets or speakers. What goes on inside the unit is not described. But everything on that panel goes through the Audio Unit. Hope that wasn't too confusing. Isaac

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Larry, the bike is close to me, I could take a look at it for you. Maybe get a better idea of what's wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I am looking at an 1800 for sale. It has 19,000 miles on it. Original buyer. He is older and can't ride anymore.

The AM/FM radio is inop. He was told that it needed "the chip" replaced. Any ideas of what that is and it's cost? That is a big factor for me.

You might know this already.........if you hold down the audio button on the radio...the radio will turn off....If you hold it down again...it will turn on. You have to hold it for a few seconds....It could be just turned off. It's the same button that switches it from speakers to intercom.

Mark

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry. I see a CB antenna...does it work? Do any of the other functions on that panel work. ie: i-com, navi voice, WB (weather band)...any of those work. The whole shebang is the Audio Unit. Everything in the world goes though that Unit, even the speedometer pulses. Does the speedo work ok. I guess the point is there are a ton of things that could be wrong. From the switches on the left handle bar, to the power amp under the rear of the seat, to the unit itself. As far as I can tell, there is no single "chip" that would correct this. It is a Unit with tons of inputs and outputs and the manual does not show it broken down to that level. I have no earthly idea what the Audio unit would cost to replace but due to the complexity of it and what it does, it may be pretty high. In order to diagnose the problem correctly, you need to know exactly what works and dosen't work on that panel. In other words, the schematics show that you select AM/FM and internal to the Unit, the radio is activated and outputs to headsets or speakers. What goes on inside the unit is not described. But everything on that panel goes through the Audio Unit. Hope that wasn't too confusing. Isaac
Great information. Although it is scaring me away from the bike.... which is exactly why I asked.

It is not a GPS model. It is an 02 basic model. My understanding is that everything works with the exception of the AM/FM radio. The CB works but was not used by the PO.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Larry, the bike is close to me, I could take a look at it for you. Maybe get a better idea of what's wrong.
It is listed on Craigslist in the Seattle area but the seller is in Spokane. He published his telephone number and is responding to email. It is not a shipping scheme as some of these types of things are. I just spoke to him again and he has someone coming in the morning from Canada to look/buy it.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might know this already.........if you hold down the audio button on the radio...the radio will turn off....If you hold it down again...it will turn on. You have to hold it for a few seconds....It could be just turned off. It's the same button that switches it from speakers to intercom.

Mark
I didn't know this but the previous owner has had this bike since it was new. Perhaps he has been riding it not knowing that? He wanted to be sure to let me know everything about the bike good and bad before I made a commitment to come look at it from so far away. (Just the opposite of some craiglisters I have met)

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the comments. It helps to belong to a community such as this to get good feedback on these types of things.

Given the distance and the radio thing, I am leaning on passing. I want one that I can ride over and take a look at. Perhaps even know the guy from GWRRA or something like that. I really enjoy my 1500, but the thought of upgrading to an 1800 that has half the mileage that mine has, was very tempting.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Thanks for all of the comments. It helps to belong to a community such as this to get good feedback on these types of things.

Given the distance and the radio thing, I am leaning on passing. I want one that I can ride over and take a look at. Perhaps even know the guy from GWRRA or something like that. I really enjoy my 1500, but the thought of upgrading to an 1800 that has half the mileage that mine has, was very tempting.
Well, don't give up yet Larry. Don't let us scare you off. If the other guy doesn't buy it, why not tool over and look at it. If nothing else, take it to a Honda Dealer and let them take a peek at it. Its only money....:D

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
That also looks like a Russell Day-Long seat too.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Larry that is one nice looking well upgraded bike. Which means to me that someone has run a muck with their tool set and their wallet. If all the work was done properly and the only thing the bike needs is a radio repaired-replaced I would go for it. However I have repaired many types of electronics and I would say most of what goes wrong with this type of device is solder connections. if a so called "chip" were to go bad it is normaly caused by something like a bad solder connection or a short in the wiring etc. It is possible that the owner loves lets say 80s Heavy metal at full volume and burnt out the audio output I.C's in the amplifier this means there are resistors, diodes,capacitors in the same circuit that need to be replaced as well and to make it worse the problem-short could have damaged other circuits elsewhere in the bike.
No one in their right mind would have their bike taken apart diagnosed down to the circuit level and pin point the exact I.C, Power Mosfet, etc and then not order and replace the $5.00-$50.00 dollar part. So your gut feeling to stay away is a wise one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.