Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ron Robertson 
#1 ·
If I had an Oil pump issue. Such as it not pumping up to into the engine... As if there were anywhere else it would normally go. Would the Engine have a distinct whining sound? And considerably louder at higher RPM's. To give you a little history of how or when this started. I took it on a ride to my Dads about 90 miles away. And on the way back, about 75 miles on the return. I'm sure it didn't happen all of a sudden but i noticed an abnormally loud whine. I pulled in the clutch. To see if it was in the tranny, it wasn't. With the clutch pulled in I revved it up and there it was. The only thing I can think of is the oil pump isn't pumping. I'm just a poor boy, thats trying to figure things out without spending $80.00 to have it diagnosed. The bike only has 72,000 miles on it. I do beleive it sat in a pasture for a long time before I bought it. And have had to replace a few things due to sitting out in the weather. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill:icon_confused:

#2 ·
hello libertymtn, welcome to GWOF.
how is the oil level, 1000 wings have those goofy sight glasses that are hard to read
when was the last time you did an oil change
what kind of oil did you use

#3 ·
I would doubt it's oil related. If the oil pressure is low enough that you can hear something the bike would be running hot and/or seize up. I don't know if these motors are main bearing priority, like a car, or not but I know that in a car if the oil pressure is too low there will be a lower end knock as there is insufficient oil for the mains and rod bearings.

I'd suspect things like timing belts, etc.

#4 ·
A loose timing belt can rub and cause a whine. What year is your bike?

#5 · (Edited)
It's an 81. Yes, there is plenty of oil in it, the window show full to the line. For the time being i'm using regular 20-50 in it until I can work all the bugs out. It is a strong runner, with no misses. I have had the Timing belt and valve covers off to clean up and re-paint. And everything seemed to be tight and in order. Which leads me to think that there couldn't be too serious a problem. If I could just figure out what the problem is. Thanks for the Welcome and the help.

#6 ·
hi liberty, had an older wing make a similar noise a few years ago an found the timing belt was separating between layers of the belting material. after removing the belt we inspected it to find the flaw. a new set of belts couldn't hurt if the m/c has sat. good luck

#7 ·
What year wing is it. I know the water pump on the 1500 can make an awful noise when it go out, kind of howling whine.
The water pump on the 1500 will run about $200.oo just for the pump. If it is the water pump BE SURE TO USE SILICATE FREE ANTI FREEZE. Silicates will eat up the seals in the pump.

#8 ·
Sorry for the slow reply guys. I'm a truck driver and i'm only home on the weekends. Thanks for the suggestions I'll check them both out. Either way it doesn't sound like it is too serious. And I should be able to take care of it myself. Thanks again and when I'm able to dig into it i'll keep you informed of the prognoses.

O.K. Here's an update. I went out and started the bike. I do remember when I had the covers off previously I did check the timing belt. And it looked good, no wear and nice and tight. When I started it, the loud Whining that I was concerned about was gone. But there was still some what of A whine. Kinda like what you would hear in A small car when it's driving in reverse. But nothing like what I'd heared before. My question is. If the water pump "is" going out. Would or could the whining come and go? It is running strong, and it's not over heating.

#9 ·
You can try putting a metal rod against the water pump and holding the other end to your ear like a stethoscope, if it's the water pump you should be able to tell.
I picked an automotive stethoscope at NAPA for about $10.00. I big help in locating strange noises.
Sometime the alternator whine some also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.