Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had an Oil pump issue. Such as it not pumping up to into the engine... As if there were anywhere else it would normally go. Would the Engine have a distinct whining sound? And considerably louder at higher RPM's. To give you a little history of how or when this started. I took it on a ride to my Dads about 90 miles away. And on the way back, about 75 miles on the return. I'm sure it didn't happen all of a sudden but i noticed an abnormally loud whine. I pulled in the clutch. To see if it was in the tranny, it wasn't. With the clutch pulled in I revved it up and there it was. The only thing I can think of is the oil pump isn't pumping. I'm just a poor boy, thats trying to figure things out without spending $80.00 to have it diagnosed. The bike only has 72,000 miles on it. I do beleive it sat in a pasture for a long time before I bought it. And have had to replace a few things due to sitting out in the weather. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill:icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hello libertymtn, welcome to GWOF.
how is the oil level, 1000 wings have those goofy sight glasses that are hard to read
when was the last time you did an oil change
what kind of oil did you use

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would doubt it's oil related. If the oil pressure is low enough that you can hear something the bike would be running hot and/or seize up. I don't know if these motors are main bearing priority, like a car, or not but I know that in a car if the oil pressure is too low there will be a lower end knock as there is insufficient oil for the mains and rod bearings.

I'd suspect things like timing belts, etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
A loose timing belt can rub and cause a whine. What year is your bike?

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi liberty, had an older wing make a similar noise a few years ago an found the timing belt was separating between layers of the belting material. after removing the belt we inspected it to find the flaw. a new set of belts couldn't hurt if the m/c has sat. good luck

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
What year wing is it. I know the water pump on the 1500 can make an awful noise when it go out, kind of howling whine.
The water pump on the 1500 will run about $200.oo just for the pump. If it is the water pump BE SURE TO USE SILICATE FREE ANTI FREEZE. Silicates will eat up the seals in the pump.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
You can try putting a metal rod against the water pump and holding the other end to your ear like a stethoscope, if it's the water pump you should be able to tell.
I picked an automotive stethoscope at NAPA for about $10.00. I big help in locating strange noises.
Sometime the alternator whine some also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.