Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the windshield on my 2000 GL1500 SE. When I tried to remove the 5 screws in the metal adjusting grommets, all of them are stuck tight. I took a couple of whacks at one of them with my impact driver, but no luck. Am I missing something?

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
May be from age.. Try soaking them with a little WD40 or liquid wrench. That may loosen them up. Be careful not to strip the heads or get that stuff on the tupperware. Good luck..

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I replaced the windshield on my '98 SE they were tight too. I used a new #2 bit in a scoket and put plenty of pressure on the back of the ratchet. the extra torque you get from the length of the ratchet handle helps. Te new bit was "insurance" to keep from stripping the screws.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
May be from age.. Try soaking them with a little WD40 or liquid wrench. That may loosen them up. Be careful not to strip the heads or get that stuff on the tupperware. Good luck..
I agree with this

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I have a DeWalt cordless screw driver with an adjustable clutch. If I find a screw that does not want to come out. I set the clutch on #1 position hold it in tight and let it hammer for a bit then move up to #2 and let it hammer for a bit and keep moving up till the screw finally come out. This has been working for me and I haven't stripped a screw using this method.

Ron

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another idea is to try to tighten it first. I've broken loose many a rusted or otherwise "stuck" fasterer by going the opposite way, just enough to move it.

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
PB Blaster works well for me too on stubborn fasteners.
Especially when someone brings over a Voyager with rusty hardware and they're always fun to work on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have a DeWalt cordless screw driver with an adjustable clutch. If I find a screw that does not want to come out. I set the clutch on #1 position hold it in tight and let it hammer for a bit then move up to #2 and let it hammer for a bit and keep moving up till the screw finally come out. This has been working for me and I haven't stripped a screw using this method.

Ron
This method has worked for me on several occasions. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts