Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here goes the story...…………………...Colin's 1996 Goldwing has been having an idle problem for awhile now when the motor warms up a bit. The motor would be idling and then drop the RPMS and miss fires. Then Colin said that it would die on him at the lights and I remember a story about the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 'ECTS' that could give the symptoms like a vacuum leak. So when the engine died I thought it would be more likely to be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. Colin ordered a new ECTS and replace it to find that the problem is still there.

Now we have worked out that when the Electric Cooling Fans kicks in at idle the motor die's. So I still think that it is an electrical problem. We tried to see if pulling the plug off the sensor for the fans would help. But it made no difference. Is there another sensor that could kill the bike electrically?

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
how old is the battery?
does the battery maintain voltage when it starts to stall?
is there corrosion on the terminals?
what about the fans? does one have a short?
i have heard of some ignition coils failing to spark when they get hot.

just my thoughts.

~Travis

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
sounds like a voltage drop to the ignition

When the alternator starts charging harder... it will load the engine more, that would make the problem worse.

Could be the alternator is marginal at low rpms along with marginal coils, what kind of rpms does the engine run at idle otherwise.... should be 750-800. Might just need to step up the idle speed.

I would wire up some sort of volt meter.... and see if you can duplicate the problem.

I know on my 1800 I can watch the volts change while setting at a stop light with the turn signals going.

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There has been so development on this last night. I said to Colin that we had to isolate the problem down to it being either electrical or carbs. So I said to run the bike until it is hot and starts to miss fire, then give it a hit of start ya bastard and if the miss fire goes away it is carbs. The miss fire went away. So I think it is the carbs.

Colin is a bit scared to pull the carbs and I am not there to help...……………………...how hard are they to do?

·
Super Moderator
27,587 Posts
They are not hard to do mate, but you have to dig into the belly of the beast. Also if he's in that deep then he may as well change vaccum lines.

I will search through my old threads when I get back from breakfast and post a link that will help guide him.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bill. We will be on the road all day tomorrow. I will get that off to Colin tomorrow night when I get home.

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
Eric; I just reread this and it kind of sounds like what happen right after we got back from Wyoming last year. I rode into Sumas and when I pulledup to the Post office it quit and would not start. Went inside and took care of business when I was ready to leave it started right up. Rode over Jeff's house and it died when I rolled into his driveway it died again. After it set for a while, I check the battery it was right around 11 volts, it started up again but the voltage started to drop, bring the rpms to around 2000 the voltage came back to around 11volts but would drop off as soon as i let the rpms drop. Turns out it was the Alternator was not working very well. New Alternator solved the problem.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
Any update on this to report?

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have tried 3 times to post an answer here and it keep droping me out. I will try again soon.

·
Super Moderator
27,587 Posts
I have tried 3 times to post an answer here and it keep droping me out. I will try again soon.
Oh the suspense of it all........:tapfoot:

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts

Your bike quits when you use it, your computer quits when you use it. Hmmm is there a common denominator here?

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try doing short posts and see if GWOF doesn't kick me off.

We tried replaceing the coolant sensor because the bike was missing when it got to temperature. Colin put it back together and tested it. There was no change so...…………………..I ask him to wait until the motor started to miss and give it some Start Ya Bastard. the motor ran smoother.

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am still having problems with posting on GWOF. But on with the story.

With the motor running smoother with Start Ya Bastard...……………….I am thinking it is the carbys. Colin has wimped out in doing the carbys himself and is going to wait until his mate comes over to give him a hand.

The ignition switch is also playing up. He needs to turn it on a couple of time before anything will work. So we will replace the switch when I get back to Adelaide. Just maybe we will get this thing running properly.:grin2::grin2:

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If we are still having problems with it dying...………………………..I will look into the alternator.:grin2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
check you wiring diagram but on my '93 1500 the fan motor is always hot, (looking for a ground.)when it comes on, you get a draw on the battery. is your battery weak? mine had a short in the harness, so i routed new ground wores from both sides to a on/off switch in the left pocket. that way if i'm in traffic i can turn them on. some say you might forget & leave them on, but i haven't done that yet

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We love updates here on GWOF don't we. Well I have arrived in Adelaide and got stuck into Colins 1500. Now where is that mate of mine Fossil............................it's not hard to pull the carbs on the 1500's. I put my tongue to the left, I put it to the right, I stuck it out just a little bit. Alright........................this is what we found. The fuel filter was full of crap and the filter (inside) is suppose to be stuck to the top and this had come away from the filter canister. And because of this all of the crap went straight past the filter and into the carbs. They were full of crap. So we have cleaned the carbs and a new kit put through them. Now back to where all of this crap has come from the fuel tank. Pull the fuel pump out to clean the tank out, put that back together. Put in a new fuel filter in, replace the little valcum hose with the bend in it. And this is where we are up too.
Back to work on it tonight and I will give you all an update later. Why can't I have my mate Bill over here and my tongue would get such a work out.:surprise:

·
Super Moderator
27,587 Posts
I didn't say it would be easy Mate.

;)

But I'll bet she runs like a top

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Why can't I have my mate Bill over here and my tongue would get such a work out.:surprise:

taken out of context, this sentence could mean a variety of things... and the choice of smiley... sorry, mind fell into the gutter. :wink2:

:sCo_hmmthink: my bike runs similar... perhaps along with the air filter, i will check the fuel filter as well. no idea when it was last changed, or even checked for that matter.

~Travis

1 - 20 of 32 Posts