Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am new to the site and am looking for recommendations for front and rear shock pressures when riding single (200 lbs) and double (400 lbs) on a 1998 Goldwing 1500 SE. The bike without riders probably has about 30 lbs of junk in storage. I appreciate any help anyone can provide and I look forward to participating in this great site. Thank you.

Ben Bonazza

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Front shock has a max pressure of 6psi. You need a small hand pump to put air into the front forks. A air compressor will blow the seals. I don't remember what I used in the rear of my 98 SE. Whatever the range is I think I ran about 75% with 2 up and loaded down. For 1 up probably about 30%,

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Interesting comments.
1. I ended up running 0 in the front forks.
I never knew 6 was the max and I never heard of the on board
compressor blowing out any seals!
2. I would air up the rear to what I thought the max was (50 not 60)
I would then load the bike as it was going to be ridden.
I would lower the reading until the rear end started to drop
no more than 1/2inch. I made a list of these reads and would then
set the rear at the read for that particular bike load on that ride.
Re, Solo, 2-up, Solo loaded for a trip, 2-up loaded for a long trip.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
the front suspension is not connected to the onboard compressor. i may carry a passenger twice a year. being solo i run no pressure in the front and 48 in the rear

·
Registered
95 Posts
Be aware that the pressure is different if your sitting on the bike and when you are not.

I noticed that some responses were not clear if the suggested setting was with you on or off the bike when checking rear shock pressure.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
All good advice ben, welcome to the site. Never use a service station fill hose on the forks, waaaay too much pressure on tap.

·
Registered
835 Posts
On my '91 I typically run at 4.00-4.05 (always ride 2 up) on the rear and have never checked the front. But I can't remember whether that's psi. kpa or mph :).
Strat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts