Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my roadlamps blew out near the end of last week. I thought if I had some time this weekend, I would replace both of them, and maybe with a set of those brighter, bluish type filaments, not sure. anyway, I go to my owners manual and nothing. there is no information on replacement bulbs. now, I can find out (although excepting any information here), I just thought it was weird that the replacement bulbs or original bulb types are not listed anywhere in the users manual. I still really need to buy a repair manual anyway as over winter want to do some things. I didnt even look to see how you get to the roadlamp bulbs cause I never got around to finding what I need to buy... anyway,, just ranting about the owners manual, thought it was odd.

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Bob, do you mean the headlamps or the cornering lamps?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Got a shop manual? I can look up and see if there's any snags you might run into...what year is yours?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a shop manual? I can look up and see if there's any snags you might run into...what year is yours?
its a 98, no I havent worked at getting a manual yet and reallllly should.

I just thought it odd, it wasnt covered in the owners manual. seems like a normal kind of thing that it would be, at least the bulb part/type.

thanx for the help. I did go to that site, posted above, and there is some great, super great info on there. There is a how to about every single thing I wanted to look at over the winter.

that being said, next I need to figure out these floor boards I bought from a guy here. he sent pics, but they dont show how these parts go together and it aint makin sense ...yet.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Bob, if you haven't got the number of those bulbs yet, they are a Stanley halogen (12v 18w) Honda p/n 34901-GM0-003. but you can likely find the same thing at an auto parts store for 1/2 the price Mother wants for them ($18 ea up here:eek:).. I'm thinking you'll have to remove the lower cowl to get at them which might mean loosening or removing the upper shelter.
As to your floor boards, what brand are they? One of us here just may have installed them before and can offer some advice. Can you post pics of them?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
interesting side note

I was going through some sites and links on bulbs and the led thing, and I ran across this post about how the bulbs have two filaments, it just uses one, and that you can turn the bulb in the socket and use the other filament. so I was tinkering with some things this weekend and though, hmmmm as long as im messin around down here. and low and behold, it worked. who'da thunk. anyway..no $$$$,,I mean, thats a good thing.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Way ta go McGuyver!;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob, if you haven't got the number of those bulbs yet, they are a Stanley halogen (12v 18w) Honda p/n 34901-GM0-003. but you can likely find the same thing at an auto parts store for 1/2 the price Mother wants for them ($18 ea up here:eek:).. I'm thinking you'll have to remove the lower cowl to get at them which might mean loosening or removing the upper shelter.
As to your floor boards, what brand are they? One of us here just may have installed them before and can offer some advice. Can you post pics of them?
I called the Honda shop prior to seeing the fix, and they were $26..man. Halogen's always were more expensive. The odd thing I noted about them, is that even talking to the shop guy, and on the site that was linked earlier in this post, for a 98, the bulbs should have been or looked like a standard round bulb (even though they are halogens), but the one I rotated, was conical like a halogen normally looks. What I am saying is although there is ton of information out there, the true part seems to be in question vs the year of the bikes. Given, the bike is 14 years old,a lot can happen in 14 days let alone 14 years.

as for the floor boards, I was planning on taking some good layout pics and do just that, post here. but there is a guy with a an early 90's that just showed up in the "for sale" section and he lives about 20 minutes from me, his boards look the same. I shot him a pm yesterday, no answer yet. was hoping I could ride down ther and kinda look. he might of been upset I didnt buy HIS bike earlier in the spring when I was looking, I do remember seeing the ad. anyway if that doesnt pan out, Im gonna take some pics of all the parts and see if anyone has similar/same. usually I can figure this stuff out, but its got me baffled. im sure its going to be..ohhhhh thats how it goes. lol.

thnx for the tip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts