Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1500 which i have just purchased has developed a rattle when you rev it in neutral,sounds like something catching rather than an engine noise,i have been told that the reverse gear can sometimes cause this,any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,875 Posts
I believe the reverse is associated with the starter and not the engine, so I don't think the rattle could be comming from it, unless the handle is loose. Have you checked under the bike anything loose, such as the A stand, the side stand? Does the bike have a belly pan or is the lower cowl loose? Do you hear the rattle when you are moving or just at idle? Just some ideas..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only does it at idle have checked all stands, panels, etc.It definately sounds like something catching,doesnt do it all the time,the bike has done 70000 miles,could it be mileage related i ask myself.worried it could be terminal.Is it possible the reverse gear is not disengaging properly,i dont know.

·
Super Moderator
9,875 Posts
I don't think 70K miles is an issue, since there a lot of Wings that go well over 200k miles without major problems, but you can never rule anything out. Does the noise go away when you engage the clutch? Could it be transmission or exhaust related? I know I'm not being very helpful here, but just thinking out loud as to what it might be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have been told today the rattle is probably clutch related has anyone experiensed a clutch rattle of any kind on a 1500

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is clutch related. Mine does the exact same thing with 40k on it. All seems to work fine though. My Magna made the same noise. I've been told by a several bike mechanics that, although not all GL1500s make the noise, it is a completely normal sound in the 1500s, as well as other Goldwing models.

The clutch noise pales in comparison to the noise I get in 4th gear (especially going up hill, sheesh!), but that's a whole different story and I'm told that's perfectly normal for these bikes as well. :)

Lorne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts